Wednesday 24 June 2015

Seriously mom, what's an alpaca? by Alan Parks

When you move to another country, it's hard to explain your new life to those at home.  Author Alan Parks has done a wonderful job of sharing the non-fiction story of his family's move to rural Spain to raise alpacas.  His easy going writing style made me feel as though I was reading a personal letter from him. 

He talks about the language challenges, the difference in cultures and the significance of the large expat community.  I particularly enjoyed the tales of his adventures with his Spanish neighbours.

When I was a teen, my family moved to an island in the Caribbean, and my father and his partners started a scuba diving business.  Mr. Parks had me reliving many of our experiences, some I had long forgotten.

I highly recommend this book to anyone considering such a move or who is curious about moving to a foreign country.  The armchair traveller will also enjoy the stories and still be happy to remain safely at home. 

Cover image courtesy of Alan Parks.

No comments: