Tuesday 7 July 2015

Needlework Tuesday - Easy Bag Projects

It's either been muggy hot or raining heavily, both are great staying inside and sewing days.  I kept busy working on two very different bags.  The first, Japanese Knot Bag, I had found online several years ago, printed out the pattern and then got distracted.  I was determined to finish it this week.
The pattern is by Helen at the blog Show Your Workings.  I didn't take pictures as I was sewing as the instructions are quite clear.  A few suggestions, in step 2, fold the fabrics right sides together and then they will be ready for the next step.  Step 5, when you are sewing the outer and the liner together, don't stitch into the seam allowance for the open end of the handles.

I was surprised at how easy it was to add the round bottom. I was expecting it to be a pain, but I pinned in quarters and then eighths and then sixteenths it went well with no puckering.  Now I need to add a removable base of like pink craft foam to help the bag stay round when in use.  To use the bag, you slip the long handle through the short one, and to carry you put your hand through the long loop.


Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.

 When I finished the Japanese Knot bag, I jumped right into the next one, the Pick-a-Pocket Purse from All People Quilt.  The pattern is designed to be cut from yardage, but I was using fat quarters and had to make some changes.  The outside pockets I pieced with the print being more than half the length.
 When I folded the outside pocket, the print extended to the inside.
 the main print that goes behind the pocket and extends to the top of the bag, I had to piece both on the hidden bottom and for the lining. Not a problem, dark fabrics on the inside of a bag make it difficult to find the item you want.
 The pattern says to layer up the parts and sew on the handles, I added an extra step and lightly quilted the main fabric with the batting to give it a bit more body.  I should have cut the pieces a bit wider as the quilting always seem to shrink the piece. oh well, live and learn.  From this point I followed the instructions.
 I am really pleased with how this turned out.  As for size, he pocket between the handles easily fits a large cell phone.  

I am having fun with the bag making and have a few more lined up thanks to last weeks readers who left me suggestions and links to patterns. The success of these bags is getting me enthused; I might even get carried away and finish one of the quilts that's been pinned on my design wall for way too long. 

Do you have a project to you'd love to share, one that you feel would be inspirational to others. It can be one you wrote about in the past or that's currently on your work table.  I can be any medium, not strictly needlework, I'd enjoy seeing it.  Mister Linky is waiting below. 

 

1 comment:

Tami said...

I have been on a bag-making binge lately, too. The Knot Bag was a fun one. I love your fabric choice! What are you using your bag for?

I haven't tried the pick-a-pocket pattern but it's adorable! What a fun way to spend a rainy day.