Tuesday 8 September 2015

Needlework Tuesday - Another type of Quilting Template

 I'm playing around with some bits of fabric and wanted to make some stitch and flip corners.  In the past I had seen that you could cut the triangles instead of squares.  I started with a 3 1/2 inch square of the floral print.  I cut the corner triangles using template 6 from Marti Michell set A. Ideally, i should be able to position the triangle with the little cut edges lining up with the larger square and then sew with a quarter inch seam.  Only problem is that I'm not a perfect cutter.  I ended up with real wonky placed triangles.  Hmm, what to do.
 I tried lining up the triangles with the lines on my cutting board, but that was still very inaccurate.  I needed a placement template.  A simple square of cover stock cut the same size as the square.  I nipped off the corners and then cut out the 2 inch square to place the triangle.
 Perfect placement.  Carefully remove the template, lift the fabric to the machine and stitch with a 1/4 inch seam.
In most cases the blocks turned out well.  A little trimming was required.  I'll be able to trim the extra fabric away behind the triangle.  I am making 24 of these little blocks.  Next week I'll show you how I'm using them.

Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.

Daughter has now left for school and that means I should be able to get on with some of my projects that have been stagnating most of the summer.   It's been fun this morning browsing my Facebook feed and viewing my family and friends back to school morning photos.  Oh my, those kids are getting so big.  Some of these kids I only see online in photos from their parents and others are near by and I visit in person.  Regardless of how I know them, it did bring tears to my eyes seeing them all so happy and proud to be starting a fresh school year.  My best wishes to all of them.

Do you tend to start new projects once the kids go back to school, or do you pull out an old one and plunge back into it?  Mister Linky is waiting below for a link to your blog post.  Feel free to leave a comment as well.

 

3 comments:

Kate said...

I have been tidying up, and looking at my UFOs.
Glad to see you back after a busy summer.

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
Love the quilt, the colors are very nice.
Hope you get caught up soon. Have a great day!

Lin said...

That looks like a good way to line up your triangles. pretty fabrics - I wonder what you are making. xx