Wednesday 23 September 2015

Needlework Tuesday - It's not a UFO if you are still working on it

I have been stitching this little churn dash blocks for several years. I need 128 of them and my original plan was to use all unique fabrics and not repeat any.   Each time I started a new fabric, after I had completed cutting for the pieces required, I used the left overs to cut a churn dash block and stored it in the project baggie.  A great way to assemble the materials for a scrappy project.

A few cutting mistakes and a project dragging out way to long has changed that idea.  I want to finish this sooner than the next decade.  I just don't use that many lights compared to mediums and darks.  I currently have 102 blocks pieced, more cut out and have fabric on the cutting board for the rest of the pieces. Each block is supposed to finish up at 5 1/2 inches.  Now I want to motor through this and get to the top assembly.  Sine the pattern is so traditional, I'd like to send it out to a hand quilter.  I could machine quilt it, but I'd like it done this decade....

Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.

 At the same time as I was cutting and stitching the churn dash blocks, I was cutting tumblers for the next border on my current scrappy project.  Remember the one I showed last week that started with the little 4 patches.    I now have oodles of 3 1/2 inch tumblers cut and sorted.  To keep the colours balanced, I sorted the fabrics into four stacks, one for each side.  I am in the process of laying out the first side and figuring out how many I actually need.  I have a feeling that I way over cut.  Oh well, I'm sure I'll find a use for the extras.

 During July, a bunch of shops in this area of Ontario held a shop hop.  The theme fabrics were all white and blues.  Very pretty.  I managed to make it to 5 shops so have five kits to jump start my quilt.

This lovely star was made using paper templates.  I was pleased with how accurately it was designed. I only had to unpick one seam. 
 I like the simplicity of this lattice style block.  It went together easily and looks great.  I think the selection of fabrics had a lot to do with that. 

Three more blocks to go and then I'll reveal my plans for the setting.  I wonder how far I can stretch 5 blocks....

It's always a pleasure to spend time chatting with my needlework friends even though you aren't here with me in person.  I'll admit that i have been a bit lax in visiting your blogs this past month, life happens.  

Currently I am getting ready for a trip out of country to visit relatives and it has me distracted.  Yesterday I went to the travel clinic for vaccinations.  I have no intention of getting sick while away or bringing back any nasty tummy bugs.  I'd say that I have so much to do in such little time, but that's not really the case.  Get my shots, pack a bag and go. Well, I do want to make a little thank-you gift for my aunt as I'll be staying with her family.  I am considering another item or two as well.  Ok, maybe I do have a bit more to get ready than I thought, but it's manageable. 

With that in mind, I'd better get back to it.  

Mister Linky is waiting below for a link to your current needlework post.
 

4 comments:

barbara woods said...

Have fun on your trip, all your projects are looking good

Lin said...

Lots of lovely work - your blues look interesting and your churn dashes are going to be fun. xx

Threeundertwo said...

Oh gosh, you lasted longer with the churn dash blocks than I would have. It will still be a wonderful quilt, even if it's smaller.

Love the blue blocks!

Tami said...

I like that theory - it's not a UFO if you still work on it. I finished a lap quilt this morning that has been sitting in a box since I moved my sewing room to the basement. Before that, it spent several months on a closet shelf - so all in all it's been waiting almost four years, but it's finally done.

I admire your patience on the church dash. I tend to lose interest after 10 blocks. I think this will be beautiful - especially when hand quilted. Very vintage!