Monday 7 September 2015

Welcome to the Jungle : The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

Graphic novels are hot and are now considered mainstream reading among many age groups.  I'd been thinking of trying one, but didn't know where to start.  When browsing an online list for author Jim Butcher, I found that he had created a comic book/graphic novel for the Dresden Files.  I love that series; this would be perfect for my reading in this format.

Welcome to the Jungle is  a short story set prior to the events of Storm Front, the first book in the series. A violent death has occured at the zoo, and Harry is called in  by the Chicago police to consult on the investigation.  Characters I've grown to love in my imagination are introduced here in vivid colours.  Harry is almost as I expected, though I had imagined an older version, I didn't realize he was only in his mid twenties. 

I did have to change my frame of reference while reading/looking.  I'm used to books that take hours to read, this I could power through in an hour or so.  I felt that if I read it that quickly I would somehow be cheating, that I needed to spend more time with it.  Daughter cleared this up and told me to get with it and let it flow, that it's totally acceptable to read a graphic novel in one sitting.  With this new perspective, I was able to settle in an thoroughly enjoy the story. 

This is a fun format.  The drawings by Ardian Syaf capture all the action and details that the limited text can't . I particularly enjoyed the images of Harry's basement office and his confidant Bob.

I'm looking forward to reading more of the series, both the books and the graphic novels.

Graphic Novels
Welcome to the Jungle
Ghoul, Goblin
War Cry
Down Town

The Dresden Files - novels
Storm Front (also available as a graphic novel)
Fool Moon  (also available as a graphic novel)
Grave Peril
Summer Knight
Death Masks
Blood Rites
Dead Beat
Proven Guilty
White Knight
Small Favor
Turn Coat
Changes
Side Jobs - short stories
Ghost Story
Cold Days
Skin Game
Peace Talks  - forthcoming


No comments: