Tuesday 3 January 2017

Needlework Tuesday - Wrapping up 2016

 Welcome all to the 2017 version of Needlework Tuesday.  Each Tuesday (baring extreme business) I'll share any needlework I've been playing with during the previous week.  I hope that you will join in the fun and use Mister linky to share your current needlework post.

With a bit of deft time management (omit baking short bread cookies) I managed to sneak in one final finish before Christmas. 
 I had started this castle pillow cover some months ago and it kept getting pushed to the back ground.  Since the recipient was eating Christmas dinner with us, I had to have it finished.  I used a free pattern from the Fat Quarter Quilt shop and sized it up to fit a standard bed pillow, approx 26 x 20 inches.

For the back, I used to front, including the button bands, of a man's dress shirt.  It worked perfect and even has  a pocket for storing secret messages.

 I quilted some lines in the draw bridge gate to make it look more like a proper door.   The recipient loves green, so why not green stone and brick work.  Ivy covered.
 Finally, I added some stylised clouds in the sky, fair weather ones of course.  The dragon was cut from a panel and fused and stitched on.  A great suggestion from the recipient's mom.   I have left it up to my little friend whether she wants to decorate the pillow with flower and bird buttons, or if she plans to sleep on it.  Buttons would not be fun poking into her face.

I plan to make this pillow again for two of my nieces.

Recently I have shared some cryptic photos of the blue quilt that I was working on.  It was delivered to it's intended on Christmas morning even though it still needs quilting in the sashing and outer border and the binding.  Other than that, it's done.  Yippee.

I used a continuous line machine quilting template that worked out quite well.  I am going to use similar motifs for the remainder of the quilting.  




The pattern was a BOM by Marti Michell.  Sorry that I don't recall the title.


An to round out this post, I have a new start for the new year.  My sister gave me a ball of Lion Brand Shawl in a Ball.  note: there is a free pattern included on the ball band and there are additional free knit and crochet patterns for this yarn on the Lion Brand website.  I decided on  a simple feather and fan pattern.  It calls for 6.5 mm needles and is quite loose, I would have been happier with a smaller size, but am not going to change now.  This is my first time working with this yarn and I am enjoying it.  It knits nicely and doesn't seem to tangle, which I was concerned about.  It is a bit fuzzy, but not enough to tickle my nose with little bits flying off.

I have no idea how long this will take as I am supposed to keep knitting till the piece measures 49 inches and I am currently at 6 inches.  It looks dainty but it actually quite sturdy.  I have a feeling it's going to be a shawl that I use often.

Over the next week or so, I plan to make an actual list of the projects I want to complete in the next few months and of the few that are still ideas floating around in my head.  Perhaps this will help me keep more on track than the random method did last year.  It certainly is worth a try.  in the process, I might even finish some of the projects I found abandoned on my sewing/dining room table when I cleaned it off for Christmas dinner.  Any helpful hints on organising my to do list would be most appreciated.

Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you. I hope that you are having fun and making progress on whatever project is dear to your heart at this moment. 


Mister Linky is waiting below for a link to your needlework post.

3 comments:

Marie said...

What a fun pillow!!!! Awesome clouds.
Your blue quilt is absolutely gorgeous!! Lucky recipient!

I haven't tried shawl-in-a-ball yarn yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time. Thanks for including your thoughts on the yarn. It's nice to know that it's working out. It's such a lovely colour and pattern. Did the pattern come with the ball?

I made another shawl between Christmas and New Year's, but I want to block it before showing anyone. I hope to have a post next week.

Have a great week.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Heather! Lily has been sleeping on her new pillowcase every night, and she loves it.

Cathy said...

You have some wonderful projects here. Love the Marti Mitchell quilt. Beautiful!