Tuesday 24 January 2017

Needlework Tuesday - Knitting in Support of Women

This week, I find my self pondering the treatment of women in America and around the world.  Why do men continue to dictate what women can and can not do with their minds and bodies.  We have brains and we know how to use them. We know what is right for us. It is time to stop them from passing laws that diminish us.

I eagerly watched and cheered for the women in the United States and in over thirty countries around the world, on every continent, marched to show their displeasure disgust that a man who acknowledges publicly that he has groped women and that has shown his disdain and disrespect for women is now the president of the United States.

Taking power from his horrid comment that you just grab a women by her pussy..., women have been banding together to protest and show their strength.  The Women's March of January 21, 2017 was a wake-up to many.  We have a voice and we're not going to turn our cheeks and take it anymore.  You can visit the Women's March website to learn more about their plans for future activities.

As a visual sign of sisterhood, many woman wore pink pussyhats to the marches.  I didn't attend a march, but I was there in spirit and I am now knitting a pink hat for my daughter.  It is just the first of many I plan to stitch.  Information about the Pussyhat project are available on their website along with several patterns for knit, crochet, and sewn hats.

 It's finished. My shawl in a ball is blocked and drying.  I am amazed that it knit up to the correct dimensions as I thought it was going to be too wide and short, but surprise, it worked beautifully.  I have a couple of metres of yarn remaining.

Now that the Christmas tree is down and the decorations put away, it's time to start on my Christmas quilts for the end of the year.  Actually, I am hosting a layer cake swap with my local guild with a winter/Christmas theme.

The ten inches squares on the left are for the swap.  I have no interest in purchasing a layer cake from a fabric manufacturer, too boring to just have one fabric line for a quilt.  This way I will have the same theme of fabric from many fabric lines.  much more interesting.

Since I was cutting fabric anyway, I might as well cut for multiple quilts.  Next are 3 1/2 inch strips for a star quilt, 2 1/2 inch strips for a strained glass type quilt and finally 1 1/2 inch strips for a log cabin.   My plan is that I have a Christmas/winter quilt for each bed by the end of this year.  (she says sheepishly).

I am sticking with my To Do list and am using stickers to indicate my successes.  It cheers me on to see the stickers increase of the course of the week.  I am still lagging on a few projects, but notice I said lagging, not totally floundering.  I like the idea from the guy on the Bullet journal site who states that you re-write your to do list each week as you then are forced to evaluate each item and ensure that you have given it it's proper priority.  This afternoon, I'm working on the binding for a quilt.  It is on the to do list for the third week running and each week I have done a wee bit toward completion.  So far so good.  I hope that you are also seeing success this week.

Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you. I hope that you are having fun and making progress on whatever project is dear to your heart at this moment. 

Mister Linky is waiting below for a link to your needlework

4 comments:

Mary Ann Tate said...

Love the shawl. Very pretty:) A quilt for every bed by Christmas...eeek. Good Luck!

Marie said...

Well said, Heather. Thanks for the links regarding the Women's March and pussy hats.

Your shawl is gorgeous. Love the colour gradations. I'm going to have to look for that Shawl in a Ball yarn.

Good luck with your Christmas/winter quilts plan. I'm looking forward to following your progress.

Shelley said...

Yes, your shaw is absolutely lovely! Thanks for the link for the pussy hat!

Lin said...

I am with you on the anti Trump marches - friends of mine marched in Bordeaux. Disgusting man.
Lovely shawl, so pretty. xx