Tuesday 18 April 2017

Needlework Tuesday - Not quite Planned Pooling in Knitting

Something neat has happened with the current pair of slippers I have been knitting.  I have hit a good random number of stitches that has resulted in the colours swirling around the slipper.  The colour seems to lag by four stitches.  If I made the smaller size slippers, I think instead of swirls, I'd have bars of colour.  I am now ready to start the top of the slippers so I will be losing this neat effect.

There are quite a few articles and videos about planned colour pooling if this is something that interests you.  Mikey from The Crochet Crowd has a very easy to understand approach, some of the other videos have a more difficult angle.



I managed to stop myself from rushing out to purchase new yarn to see if I could replicated what Mikey did, but the idea is resting in the back of my mind.  I would love an afghan with such a criss cross pattern across the entire width.

I have managed to stay focused on the quilt I am working on.  All the circles are now complete, IE: the print fabrics are all backed with denim.

I drew up a design to make the best use of what I have and am ready to start stitching them together.  This is a fun sort of quilt, once I put the pieces together, it's done.  No layering it up with batting and backing, no binding.  When I finish sewing the circles to each other, that's it.

I am so looking forward to getting this one finished so hubby will have it to use when we are camping.  I think with the denim on one side, it will be suitable for outside use as it will be nice and sturdy.

This Saturday, I will be taking a quilt class with my mom and a dear friend.  If all goes well, I'll have photos to share next week.  It looks like some new techniques are involved and that you stitch down the applique part at the same time you do the quilting.  This indicates there is a chance that I'll get it completed in short order.  (small happy dance being considered here)

I don't take many classes, but when I do, I totally enjoy them particularly when there is time to be social.  I don't like classes where no one talks except the teacher.  This is my hobby, it has to be fun and enjoyable.  I don't want some one telling to ssshh, be quiet, don't talk.  in between the stitching and talking, I'll snap a few photos and later tell you all about it.

If you are wondering, I have taken quilting classes quite a few times, but I've not taken a knitting nor a crochet class.  I think I've had two or three embroidery classes, some smocking and way back I had some clothing classes.

Do you take classes or are you self/book taught?  Please leave a comment and let me know.

Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.

Mister Linky is waiting below for a link to your current needlework post.  


1 comment:

Kate said...

I am sed to take quilting classes and then ended up with unfinished projects, so my attitude lately has been to only take a class where I end up with a finished item at the end.
I have never taken knitting classes, though now I teach beginners.