Friday 28 April 2017

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin

This is essentially a story in two parts.  First, the political intrigue which I found particularly boring.  How is it that mankind can travel far across the stars yet find the same petty, destructive behaviour. 

The differences in gender and understanding gave much to ponder.  We are so reliant on gender identification that I find it hard to overlook.  Even though it doesn't really matter, a person's gender, it is something I naturally assign.  It takes conscious thought for me to avoid.

The second part was much more captivating; a three month long trip over a glacier is the stuff of nightmares or Antarctic exploration.  This I read with rapt attention eager for their next days travel.  Averaging the two parts, the book makes for a reasonable read.


To learn more about author Ursula K. Le Guin visit her website

Cover image courtesy Penguin Random House Canada

#IndigoEmployee

No comments: