Saturday 20 May 2017

I Survived the Hindenburg Disaster, 1937 by Lauren Tarshis

I had been hearing so many good things about this book series from my customers and their parents that I had to read one of them for myself.  I knew very little about the Hindenburg and thought this would be a good chance to learn a more of it's history.

Author Lauren Tarshis tells the story through the eyes of eleven year old Hugo Ballard.  This is an effective method to interest middle school readers who are the target audience.   The meticulous research and attention to detail, makes this series good for class room reading and follow-up activities.

This series appeals to both male and female readers in the middle grades.  It is also suitable for older readers who are not ready for teen novels and for reluctant readers who are attracted by the high drama level and shorter length.

I listened to the unabridged audio book as read by David de Vries. 1 hour 31 minutes.

At present there are 15 books in the I Survived Series.

To learn more about the Hindenburg and other airships, visit Airships.net


Cover image courtesy Scholastic Books.

#IndigoEmployee

No comments: