Tuesday 23 May 2017

Needlework Tuesday - Which won out - the UFO or a new project

For those who visited with me last week, you might recall that I was pondering whether to start a new project or to continue with an existing, or UFO, project.  Well, it was kind of a tie.  I picked the most pressing UFO and set to work.  It's a tee shirt quilt for my neighbour and I had a lot of shirts sitting ready to trim and add.

 I spent days cutting, trimming and figuring out what to do with the left overs.  Not wanting to waste the unprinted bottoms of the shirts, I decided to turn them into yarn for knitting/crochet.  I watched a video showing an easy way to cut the shirt bottom into a long strip. It's much easier using a rotary cutter than the scissors shown.  After putting the cut strips through the spaghetification process, I now have yards and yards of t-shirt yarn for a future project.

With that project securely moved into 'active', I turned to the new project I mentioned last week, the Spring Quilt along with Lori Kennedy at The Inbox Jaunt.

The project calls for 40 half square triangle blocks. I figured it would be a good thing to have extras for a future project, so I found a site with free printable triangle paper, Quilting and Whatnot and downloaded the finished 2 inch square.  I test printed one page and the test square measured a prefect one inch.  I then printed 10 additional copies and started sewing.  For those who haven't used triangle paper, you stitch on the dashed lines and cut on the solid lines.  I find it best to layer your fabrics in the following order, dark print facing up, light print facing down, paper on top.  Once you cut your triangles apart, then press the open before ripping off the paper.

 It didn't take long to make almost 150 squares.  Unfortunately, at some point in the process I realized that I had printed the ten pages to the wrong size, I forgot to turn scaling off and the triangles would be slightly too small . oops.

I'll still be able to use them, but I am not impressed with myself at making this avoidable mistake.  Always a learning opportunity and this one was not to be distracted by competing conversations.    I'm looking forward to assembling the top so I can move on to the machine quilting, which is what this project is all about.

I hope that you are having success with which ever project you are working on this week.

Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.

Mister Linky is waiting below for a link to your current needlework post.


3 comments:

Kate said...

150 half square triangles, wow, that is a lot of work. Glad you can use them.

Lin said...

Ooops! Oh what an annoying mistake. I am sure you will use them but what a shame. xx

Marie said...

Love the orange/yellow fabrics!!! That's a whole lot of triangles. Can't wait to see the finished project.