Tuesday 2 May 2017

Needlework Tuesday - I'm struggling with this quilt

 Arg, those layers of denim are a b.... to stitch through.  And the top stitching at the intersections of the blocks is driving me batty.

Let me back up a bit.  This is the back of the lap quilt I am making for hubby.  It is two layers, one pieces of denim from old jeans and the second, cotton from his old shirts.  Looks great from this side.  Simple barn raising layout for best use of the pieces I had.
 You can just make out the orange peel quilting that I am attempting to do.  It wasn't so bad doing the vertical top stitching as that was done after adding each row.  Not much fabric to the right of the needle. It's the horizontal rows that are difficult. 
I thought that using the free motion foot would make it easier to navigate the curves when I get to the middle of the quilt, but it was almost impossible to deal with the intersection where the four squares come together.  all those loose edges pushing up and making a real challenge. Not only were the corners a mess, but I was having a hard time staying on the previous lines of stitching. 

Just before writing this post, I thought I had better give it a try using the regular foot and engaging the feed dogs.  One row done and it went my much easier at the block corners.  I'll still have my work cut out for me manoeuvring the quilt around for the curves, but it will be worth it.   Once the stitching is complete, then I have to clip the raw edges and wash and dry to do the 'rag quilt' thing to it.  Final photos will be ready next week.  (happy dance time soon).

Enough of that stress and on to the fun that was had at my local quilt guild meeting last week.  I was thrilled that we had Lorna from Sew Fresh Quilts as our guest.  She brought oodles of quilts to show.  Following are a sampling of some of her delights.

 Lorna's quilts are all designed using regular piecing not paper piecing.  Much of the time she uses solid colour fabrics, but she has been delving into prints lately.  She likes to use her walking foot and wavy lines for quilting, mostly running horizontally across the quilt.  If you are not familiar with her work, visit her website for a treat. Sew Fresh Quilts.  She has many for purchase patterns as well as some free ones available.  Currently she is offering a free Christmas themed quilt along.
Chicken Ranch

Forest Friends - crib size

Forest Friends - large size

Zany Zebraz

 Little Blooms - Gorgeous use of colours

Farm Friends

 Christmas Collection - there are 15 blocks in this pattern and Lorna shares many ways to put together the arrangement.  That is one feature that I really like about her patterns.  She doesn't just show you one quilt, but includes at least several possibilities of arranging the top.  So if you don't like one block you don't have to include it.
Monkey See Monkey Do


I've bought several patterns from Lorna, both online downloads and printed patterns.  While I haven't sewn them yet, her instructions and diagrams are very clear and she has been wonderful about answering emails I have sent her in the past.

 Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.

Mister Linky is waiting below for a link to your current needlework post. 


3 comments:

The Colorful Fabriholic said...

Good luck with the rest of the quilting on your denim quilt. I can see how the curves and bulk would be difficult, especially at the intersections. You're so lucky to have had Lorna from Sew Fresh Quilts to give a program for your group. I'd love to see her quilts in person and meet her!

Lorna McMahon said...

Thanks so much for sharing some photos of the quilt show! I had a fantastic time visiting with you and your guild. The quilting you are accomplishing on that denim quilt does look like quite a challenge, but will be so worth it when it's finished. Keep on persevering!

Tami said...

I think the denim quilt is going to be awesome when you're finished. What a cool idea to use his jeans and shirts. Can't wait to see it.

Your quilt guild meeting looks amazing. Such a wide variety of quilts! Thanks for sharing.