Tuesday 9 May 2017

Needlework Tuesday - Raggy, Shaggy and Looking Great

 It's here, the post you have all been waiting for. I have two quilt finishes to share.  Yes, quilt show time is quickly approaching and I offered to lend 3 of my newly finished quilts (well, one is still in the process of being bound) and that lovely pink cable afghan I knit for daughter.

First up is the rag/denim quilt I made for hubby.  It measures 45 x 55 inches, the perfect size when sitting in a lawn chair.  This is the back view.
 Close up of the orange peel quilting
 Front view.  have yet to clip the edges
 Full front view.  I decided I liked the scalloped edge instead of turning those to the front and stitching down.
 I have clipped the edges every centimetre or so.  Doesn't have much effect at this point.
After washing and machine drying, with tons of lint.  i had to clean the lint trap at least every five minutes.  Looking much fluffier.

And finally, the complete project.

Not to rest on my laurels too long, I needed to get the binding done of two quilts. Both I finished the quilting on over a year ago and then they sat waiting, always pushed to the back of the to do stack.  But remember the quilt show...

 This quilt is the result of a swap of ugly fabrics.  I know, you are looking at the quilt thinking how beautiful it is, right.  yep, it started with four fabrics that another quilter thought were ugly.  The rules said I could add as much other fabric as I wanted, but that I had to use 90% of what I had been sent.  I selected a pattern from a book by Judy Martin . Sorry, can't locate that book at the moment, though it is out of print.  Measures about 47 x 47 inches.
 I'm really pleased with the binding fabric. It fits well with the snail fabric.
 To ensure I used the 90%, I have a pieced back.
And the four fabrics I was originally sent, they are showcased in the block to the right including that cute snail.

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder.  If a fabric, thread, yarn doesn't work for you, then perhaps one of your friends or fellow stitchers will fall in love with it.  Don't hold onto what you don't love, pass it along to another who will cherish it.

I hate to leave you here when I am on  a finishing roll, but the binding on that next quilt is calling to me.  I'd love to see what you are working on this week.

 Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.

Mister Linky is waiting below for a link to your current needlework post.

3 comments:

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
Your quilts are beautiful, I really like the one that your calling the ugly fabric quilt, it's gorgeous! Have a great day!

Lin said...

Two lovely quilts Heather. xx

Linda @ kokaquilts said...

I did smile when I read your post... I loved the denim backing, the orange peel quilting... and then I saw the front, wonderful!
And the 'ugly' quilt is lovely too! Good advice re passing it forward!