Tuesday 1 June 2010

Needlework Tuesday - Keisha Bag and more


As I was watching some recorded tv shows, I managed to knit a few colour bands on this afghan.  I am pleased with how its turning out.   The next row will be the varigated yarn.  I am doing that as each 8th band.

As I mentioned last time, I need a forth afghan. I've decided that I will give the crochet hook a go. No pattern chosen yet, though I did pull out some patterns to browse.  Will let you know when that starts.

I now have all twenty blocks sewn together from the "Wild Blue Yonder" block pattern that was featured in the Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks magazine earlier this year.  This block was designed by quilter Scott Murkin   at Patchwork Possibilities.    I have the border blocks laid out on the floor ready for stitching together.  Will have a picture of the finished top for you next Tuesday.  Then to decide how to quilt.  It will be done by machine, but as for pattern?  I don't want stitch in the ditch.  Something with curves...


The Keisha bag was mostly fun and straight forward to sew.  I could have used a slightly lighter weight interfacing, but I did want a bag that would keep its shape and not look like a grocery sack.  This fits the bill nicely.  I love the huge pocket on the back side.  I did have to make a few changes while sewing.  The bottom of the outside of the bag was supposed to be sewn in with a 3/4 inch seam. nope, had to use a slightly larger than 1/2 inch.  My top stitching of the corner seams must have been smaller than the designer.  Before sewing the inside liner, I measured the outside and then determined the size of the inner seams.  I went between 1/2 inche and 3/4 inch and it fit beautifully.  It was tricky turning the bag right side out, but I took it slowly and all worked out.  I think it took about ten minutes to get that one step finished, but in the scope of the whole project that was minimal.  I suppose you want to see the front...

Come back next week to see updates of the afghan progress, the finished Wild Blue Yonder quilt top, and whatever other needlework mischief I can get into.  Oh yes, also that orange and yellow quilt block for the outgoing president of my local guild.

Did you finish a project this week that you want to share, then click over to Lit and Laundry and add your link to "Finished for Friday".  Once there you'll get to see a darling doll quilt that features a bowtie block pattern.

5 comments:

Linda said...

Love your afghan. Awesome colours. Cant wait to see the borders on your quilt top. Makes me want to make one too!! You did a lovely job on the bag. Great fabric. Who is the designer?

Kathy said...

What a great quilt setting. The block is one I've never seen before. I like the vintage look of the fabrics. Your bag sure is cute. The bow is an awesome detail.

Anonymous said...

Love the bag and the quilt top is looking great!
Stay inspired!
Michelle
Brain Angles - Invisible Ink

Threeundertwo said...

I love all of these! The colors in the afghan are fabulous. I agree that the quilt should have an allover curly pattern. And I LOVE that bag! Thanks for the link to the tutorial, it's going on my list. That bee fabric is awesome.

Judy said...

Hey Heather - the quilt is just stunning and I love the bee bag (especially that adorable bow)- thanks "sew" much for sharing them.

Judy
www.sew-sisters.com