Thursday 25 November 2010

Recipe Thursday - A Common Meal for Young Wizards


Yesterday there was a feature article in my newspaper, The Record, that looked at the food that young Harry Potter and his wizard school mates might eat.  I thought that this would be a fun theme for dinner this evening and set out to devise a suitable menu.

Everyday Wizard Dinner

Onion Soup
Turkey Vulture Drumsticks
Pumpkin Pasties
Pumpkin Juice

The soup recipe is Hearty Onion Soup from Canadian Living.  My kids thought that a Szechwan peanut sauce would make for great tasting drumsticks.  Nope.  They are going into the soup pot so I can make broth.  The recipes for the Pumpkin Pasties and the Pumpkin juice are from my newspaper.  Both of these are winners and will definitely be repeated.  Next time i am going to take some litchi fruit, poke cherries into the centres and freeze them so I can float them in the drink.  That will certainly add to the atmosphere of the meal.


If you are interested in further Hogwarts inspired dishes, then check out The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook: More than 150 Magical Recipes for Wizards and Non-Wizards Alike by Dinah Bucholz.  I have not seen this book myself so I can't comment on the recipes found within.


PS, I am just kidding about the drumsticks being from turkey vultures, they are from the more common grocery story type turkey.

9 comments:

Elly D said...

Looks very yummy. Especially the pasties :)
I do hope you are feeling better now after the cold you got last week.

Nazmiş Teyze said...

ımmm looks very delicious :)

Dorte H said...

Ah, now I just thought ...

What a bewitching menu :D

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
What an awesome idea for dinner! The pasties look yummmmmy! Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books

Beth F said...

OMG -- there is an HP-inspired cookbook? I'm going to have to have that.

I love the look and sound of this fun menu. And that Dorte is too funny.

caite said...

while I am not a Potter fan (ducking head), it sounds interesting and your table looks great!

Miri said...

What a fun dinner! We've done a Jane Austen dinner and a Middle Ages dinner-I'm hopping over the link because I know a Harry Potter dinner will be a big hit here. Thanks!

Callista said...

I didn't know there was a HP cook book either. Interesting.

I posted my first weekend cooking post yesterday but forgot to link up till now. I have a giveaway too.

Wanda said...

Yummy! My youngest daughter's birthday is Oct.30th, perfect meal for the occasion I think. Bookmarking this post!