Monday 1 November 2010

Martha Stewart's Sweet and Spicy Pumpkin Seeds

After cleaning out three pumpkins for carving yesterday, I was left with a big bowl of seeds.  Pumpkin seeds are great for your health, one benefit is that they help to lower blood pressure (don't recall where i read this, but I can use all the help I can get in this area).  I love this recipe from Martha Stewart for 'Spicy Pumpkin Seeds'.  Be sure to use peanut oil.  I have tried canola oil and it just doesn't work.

I had enough to make four batches.  I didn't double the batches as I didn't want to muck around with too much hot oil in the pan at once.  The smaller batches cook up very quickly, only 45 -60 seconds.  To make the four batches only took fifteen minutes or so.   Now we have this huge bowl of sweet and spicy seeds which I suspect will last a few days. 

PS, you don't need to wash the seeds before cooking just remove the largest of the stringy stuff.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmmmm looks and sound yummy :).
Stay inspired!

Anonymous said...

mmmmmm looks and sound yummy :).
Stay inspired!

Beth F said...

I'll have to try this -- but I generally bake my seeds with some sea salt. I don't wash the seeds before baking either.

Nazmiş Teyze said...

I'll try this.I have a big organic pumpkin in my balcony:)

Rob said...

I should have taken this recipe with me last week. We spent Halloween weekend at a cabin in the mountains (here on Kauai). After carving the pumpkin I toasted the seeds in the oven at 350 with light oil. We had to make due with canola oil and the taste was so-so.