Monday 29 November 2010

Currently reading: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling

I started this book yesterday as my daughter and niece want me to take them to see the movie again.  I had put off reading it for the past few years.  Don't really know why as I had enjoyed reading the earlier books.  I supposed I didn't want to be reading just because everyone else was reading it at that time.

Within a few pages I pulled right back into the story and the characters have become alive for me.  Every now and then I have to re-read lines to figure out who is being referred to with all the him, her, she and he's.  I also find it quite distracting the number of semi-colons that the author uses.  Yes, they are a useful tool when used well, but there are times when it is much more effective to just write two sentences.

I should be sipping cups of chilled pumpkin juice while reading, but have chosen instead, a nice hot cup of tea.

Have you read this book and the series?  No spoilers in the comments please.  I have managed to shush many people when they would have gladly told me who gets killed etc.  When they started to speak I would put my hands to my ears and chant "I'm not listening, I'm not listening" just as a little child would do.

5 comments:

The Book Chick said...

My son (11) has been begging me to tell him the ending. I keep telling him to read the book, LOL :) No spoilers from me, but enjoy the book! I hope to re-read the whole darn series soon, it's one of my favourite "escape" books.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

I read this when it first came out and have been intending to re-read for a while now.. I can remember living in dread of discovering certain things and began to hum loudly every time the book was even mentioned. I hope you enjoy the book and look forward to hearing your thoughts on it.

Dorte H said...

I can see you with your hands to your ears. LOL

Yes, I have read the whole series. Not because of the hype, but because my daughters who are voracious readers with a good taste loved them so much I had to try them too. They read the first volumes in Danish, but when our youngest was 12, she couldn´t wait for the translations any longer so we bought the English books for her. After the first couple of chapters she did really well, and she has read several of her favourite children´s books in English since then.

Anonymous said...

I have to say, and I know I quite alone on this, I sort of lost interest in the last couple of books in the series. They just got long and a bit much for me. I think part of it was I just lost interest in almost any supernatural story. That being said, I loved the first three (Azkaban being my absolute favorite)and will always go back and reread them.

Anonymous said...

I skipped all those books, specifically because everyone else was reading them. But now that the series is over, Perhaps I should go back and pick them up.

(I usually chant "la la la la la" when people are talking about spoiler stuff.)

~ Meagan