Friday 23 December 2011

Holiday Baking Party - Part 4

Wow, what a busy day.  I'm happy that I decided to share with my readers.  Extra hands help lighten the load.

Finished the "Nanaimo Bar Cookies" and they turned out terrific.  Even son had to get his camera and take some pictures.  That is high praise as he is at college studying photography.  These ones taste as good as they look.  This recipe is from the magazine Most: Celebrating Women over Forty - Waterloo Region  November 2011 issue.  Click the link for the recipe.

Of course I had to make my favourite shortbread cookies of all times.  I found this in a magazine at least a decade ago and it was love at first bite.  "Elfin Shortbread Bites" are just that, they measure only 1/2 inch on a side.

 Elfin Shortbread Bites

1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
3 tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 cup softened butter
2 tbsp round, coloured sprinkles

Stir together flour and sugar.  Cut in butter till crumbly.  Stir in sprinkles.  Form into a ball and knead till smooth.  The heat from your hands will help meld the ingredients together.

Roll on cookie sheet into 8 x 5 inch rectangle.  Remember to wash your ruler before putting it near your cookie dough.

I start by marking every 1/2 inch on all four sides.  Use a long cook's knife to cut the lines.

Separate the squares on the cookie sheet.  Bake at 325 F for 12-14 minutes or until just starting to brown.

Do not skip adding the sprinkles, they really do make these into magical cookies. 


While these were in the oven, I mixed up the "Chocolate Chip Cheese Ball" that my sister requested.  It is sitting in the fridge chilling so that I'll be able to shape it into a ball.  I'll have the recipe and photo for you tomorrow.

Additional posts from my Holiday Baking Party


I would like to invite you to enter my current contest to win some calorie free doughnuts that I have made baked crocheted.  Be sure to visit this post to find out how to enter.

4 comments:

Marie said...

Heather, you are a baking machine! Thanks for both of these awesome recipes. Too bad I won't have time to make either of them before Christmas. Maybe I'll give them a try in the New Year. ;)

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
Your kitchen looks and smells like a yummy place to be. Hope you and your family have a safe and happy holiday season.

Sherrie
Just Books

Beth F said...

I've just gotten through all four parts and can't wait for part five!

What a fabulous tray of holiday sweets you have going there. And what a wonderful tradition to spend the holidays with friends.

Be sure to call me when your husband gets that Earl Grey brewing, I'd love to have a cup with you and nibble on a cookie.

Happy holidays!

Diana LaMarre said...

Hi Heather,
All of your holiday baking looks delicious. I did not do much baking this year---really just one cookie--and it flopped! :)

Happy New Year!