Friday 23 December 2011

Holiday Baking Party

It's about time that I finally got a start on my holiday baking.  I used to start a few weeks ahead of time and get the shortbread ready and stash them away.  Also would make some squares that froze well, but I found that I ate too many and others in the house would find my hiding spots.  It's rather a shock when you go to get out some baking for guests who are arriving in a few minutes to find the tins empty.  Now I leave the baking to the last minute. 

For the past ten years or so, we have spent Christmas Eve with a dear friend and her family on their farm.  What a delight.  Her hubby is a talented cook and he makes the most amazing version of a Quebec Tortiere (meat pie).  Something to anticipate for weeks.  I have been bringing a sweets tray since the year of our first invite.  This year will be no different.

Since I will be spending at least several hours baking, I thought it would be fun to write posts as I go along.  I had wanted to host an online Christmas Party, but that didn't happen, thus an online baking party.  Leave me a comment and tell me about your holiday baking, favourite recipes and memories of tasty treats.

First up is "Peanut Butter Blondies" from the 2010 Holiday Cookies from America's Test Kitchen.   I'll be using this magazine for a couple of recipes.
There is a triple hit of peanut in this recipe.  I didn't have any dry roasted peanuts and have skipped them.  No worries, there should be ample pb taste with the peanut butter and the peanut butter chipits.  These ones are now out of the oven and cooling and I have moved on to dish two.  This is from the same magazine, "Oatmeal-Fudge Bars".  This is a triple layer bar with oatmeal crumble on the bottom, a layer of chocolaty goodness and then more of the crumble.   I have to bake the bottom part first, then let it cool for an hour before adding the chocolate layer.  This means I have time to decide on recipe number 3.

 Stay tuned, and I'll be back with photos in my next post.

Follow up Posts:
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Be sure to pop on over to the Kingdom of Coco to see the wonderful gingerbread men that Cheryl has created.  Believe me, you haven't seen any like these ones.

For more cooking fun, be sure to visit Beth Fish Reads for her Weekend Cooking post as well as links to many other food inspired posts.

6 comments:

Dorte H said...

I am doing my best NOT to see your Thursday post - I am afraid I have more than enough books on my shelves for the next year or so ;)

But I wanted to wish you and your family a merry Christmas.

Linda said...

Hi Heather. PB blondies sound awesome. Thought I would share my Christmas fav recipe with you. It came from from Grandmother. Not sure how old this is, but it was before minimarshmallows because her handwritten recipe card states to cut forty marshmallows into pieces with scissors, I have decided to use a small bag of minis. This is a no-bake recipe.
"Christmas Fruit Balls"
1 small bag minimarshmallows
2 cups graham crumbs
1/2 cup each of red and green glace cherries
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1 can sweetened condensed milk

Combine all ingredients very well. Cover well and refigerate overnight. Next day shape into small balls and roll in coconut. Store in fridge.
Merry Christmas.

Marie said...

I love peanut butter. Peanut butter blondies sound great.

I don't do much baking anymore. I usually just eat it all. ;) However, I did make butter tarts this year and promptly put them in the freezer. I'll be pulling them out over the weekend.

Have a Merry Christmas and a joyour New Year!

Cheryl (Grandma Coco) said...

Thanks for the link to my gingerbread men, Heather! And thanks for the cookie baking party. I baked more this year than I ever have. Now, to find people to eat it all. I remember hearing about someone years ago who locked up her Christmas baking in the family freezer. Sounds extreme but you might consider that another time. :) All your recipes look yummy. Merry Christmas!

TheBookGirl said...

I love peanut butter cookies, and the "triple hit" in these sounds heavenly :)

I had to laugh at you story about opening the tin only to find it empty -- seems as though my family members are not the only ones guilty of sneaking the christmas treats.

Hope you have a lovely Christmas Eve at the farm :)

Peggy@Peggy Ann's Post said...

I love America's Test kitchen recipes! Merry Christmas