Sunday 25 March 2012

Mrs. Delany's Flowers 18th-Century Paper Mosaics: A book of postcards

 Knowing how much I enjoy sending postcards, one of my dear friends gave me this book of cards.  It features 30 of the most gorgeous floral pictures by Mrs. Mary Delany (1700-1788).  Mrs. Delany started to make these works of art at the age of 72, and manged to create almost 1000 before her death 16 years later.

To learn more about Mrs. Delaney, read this Wikipedia article.

Author Molly Peacock has written a book titled The Paper Garden: Mrs. Delany Begins her life's Work at 72, where she looks at the life of Mary Delany and at her vast collection of work.

 I have included three examples of the postcards.  The  actual postcard is much more colourful and detailed than my images.

"Stewartia malacidendron"
 "Bombax ceiba Linn"
"Rubus ordoratus (sweet flowering raspbery)"
I have this plant in my garden and it never fails to inspire me with first it's lovely shaped leaves and then it's colourful flowers.  Yes, it does get large edible berries, I don't like their flavour.

A quick google search found thousands of images of Mary and her work.

Contest

I will select a commenter to receive one of these amazing postcards in the mail.  My choice of cards.  Open to international participants.

This book is from Pomegranate and the images within the book  are licensed from The British Museum.

10 comments:

Martha @ Hey, I want to read that said...

How wonderful to get books of postcards. And they're beautiful.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

How beautiful, Mary Delany must have had an amazing eye for these things.

Riality Studios said...

Those are some beautiful cards. They're just gorgeous!

Susan said...

Such gorgeous images! I am very inspired by the fact that she did not start doing this until she was in her seventies.I would love to receive a postcard. Thanks for sharing.

Colleen said...

What beautiful postcards! Thanks for the giveaway, Heather.

Snap said...

Lovely! Nice gift. thank you, Heather

The Cedar Chest said...

Lovely! I've heard of this book. Looks great.

Four-eyed-missy said...

Beautiful postcards! She's such a very-creative woman. Thanks for introducing me to her :) and thank you for the giveaway!


Postcards Crossing

Heather said...

entry for Beth from The Best Hearts are Crunchy

Heather said...

Contest long closed.