Wednesday 18 July 2012

Wood Carvings and bubbling mud in Rotorua, New Zealand

My regular readers are aware that I have been on vacation with my family in New Zealand for the past two weeks. We have been visiting as many sites as we can.  Of course we couldn't leave without a visit to Rotorua. This is a very active volcanic zone.  The entire city is centre's on the volcanos.  There and hot vents and pools found just about every where you look. We enjoyed our visit to one of the parks that is filled with such sites.

Husband did reach his hand down to touch the water and it was hot.  The sulfer smell is quite strong throughout town.




I am fascinated by the bubbling mud pools.


And finally, I insisted that we visit the larger of the two McDonald in town. There is a world famous carvers school in Rotorua, and at some point the students(?) carved some amazing panels for the restaurant.  We went at a time when it wouldn't be too busy so I could take this short video.




2 comments:

Beth F said...

I've always wanted to go to New Zealand. Beautiful shots. Those bubbling mud pools remind me of Yellowstone. And Wow! on the carved panels. Too bad (and very weird) that they're in a McDonalds.

Anonymous said...

great shots my parents where in NZ earlier this year ,all the best stu