Saturday 7 July 2012

Weekend Cooking - Bridal Tea Party

My neighbour's eldest daughter is getting married and I wanted to do something for her.  I wasn't in a position to host a Shower for her so instead I decided upon a less stressful Bridal Tea Party.  That is a much better fit with my daughter and me.  My regular readers probably know that this is where I usually do my quilting and the table is generally buried under metres and metres of fabric.  It took the better part of the week to clear the table.

 
I did a bit of baking and dear hubby went down the street to the Mennonite bakery about bought some of their tender shortbread style cookies.  The bride enjoys baking and I wanted to include that in the theme.  Hence, there had to be cupcakes with sprinkles.
 
I am a fan of Nordic Ware bake pans.  I have several, thought the one I use most is the basic bundt.  This time I used the mini muffin sunflower pan.  They are generally a big large for a single serving, but this cake is so light and tender that it is easy to get carried away and eat the whole thing.  I used a recipe that I got from All the Books I can Read.  Changes to the recipe:  200 ml of buttermilk - I used 3/4 cup of soy milk + 1 tbsp lime juice,  2 cups self rising flour - I used 1 cup flour + 1 1/2 tsp baking powder + 1/4 tsp salt.  The left over batter was used to make the cupcakes.
 
Of course, I had to make something with chocolate.  Graham Break aways (left front) and Chocolate Coconut Drops.

 

The Bride in the centre and her younger sister at the right

 

The Bride's Mom at the back, and her youngest sister at the far right.

 

Another neighbour in the white blouse and you can just see my daughter at the far left.

 

Party favours are always fun.  Colourful cupcake papers and assorted sprinkles were welcomed by all guests.


Graham Break-Aways

  • Arrange 1 sleeve (30) of Honey Maid Graham Wafers on a non-stick baking pan. (line with foil to help with clean up).
  • Combine in a large boowl 1 cup each butter and firmly packed brown sugar.  Microwave on high for 3 1/2 to 4 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes.  Stir until smooth.(this may take a few minutes)  Spread over wafers.  Top with one cup of chopped nuts.
  • Bake at 350 F for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.  Sprinkle with one cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips and bake 2 minutes more.  Allow to cool Completely before breaking into pieces.
Chocolate Coconut Drops

2 cups sugar
6 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups instant oats
1 cup grated coconut

Combine sugar and cocoa in a saucepan.  Add butter and milk and bring to boil  Boil for about 5 minutes to fudge stage (235F).  Add vanilla.  Remove from heat and blend in oats and coconut.  Working quickly,  drop by spoonfuls onto waxed papr. Let sit till firm.

 
For more foodie fun, be sure to visit Beth Fish Reads for her Weekend Cooking post.  You are invited to add a link to your recent food related post.
 
 

9 comments:

Patty said...

what a lovely idea! Not everything has to be stressful - you show your support in something everyone appreciates and the result is that you all have a great time! Btw, I just love the sprinkles...

Beth F said...

Looks like a lovely, lovely tea, and what a nice way to celebrate among friends and neighbors.

Everything you served looked yummy and the two recipes you shared are as easy as can be. They'd be great on a Christmas cookie platter.

Carol said...

I love the idea of a tea party instead of a shower. Lovely gesture, looks like a terrific time! All the treats look amazing.

Marg said...

Looks like great food and good company! What more could you ask for at a Bridal Tea!

Too Fond said...

Looks like a fun time--hope you all enjoyed the yummy food and good luck to the bride-to-be!

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

What a lovely idea- a bridal tea party! It looks like everyone had a wonderful time.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the Lime Cake recipe enough to use it! Hope the tea was lovely :)

Linda said...

What a lovely party. Love all your delicious desserts!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

LOVE the idea of giving away little cupcake kits as favors. I have a case of 4 oz quilted jars that I'm trying to find use for.