Tuesday 24 July 2012

Needlework Tuesday - Kiwi Crafts

Needlework Tuesday is open to all readers looking for inspiration, encouragement or who want to share their recent needlework project. Introduce yourself in the comments and be sure to leave a link to your current post. Feel free to grab the cute little mouse for your post.

I've been back from vacation for a few days now, and am still trying to adjust to 17 hours time zone difference.  I feel like a vampire when I am walking around my house in the middle of the night wide awake and all my neighbours are asleep.  I took no needlework with me, though I did find time to visit both a quilt shop and a knitting shop. Both of them were located in the very picturesque Devonport.  This town is directly north of Auckland, New Zealand.  First stop was Wild and Woolly at 36 Victoria Street.  I bought a pattern book by the Australian Company Cleckheaton.  Hadn't heard of them before, but they certainly do have a good range of patterns.  I was wanting to knit a hat and this book has a bunch of them. Each pattern is sized from toddler up to mom.  My friend bought a copy of  Country Yarns Magazine: 30 Patterns, and there is enough in there to keep her knitting well into the next year.




I chose the orange tweed from Naturally Aran Tweed, a wonderful New Zealand Merino blend.  For my daughter, I selected a kit to make her a pair of fingerless mitts.  These are made using Pure Merino Wool from Touch Yarns, New Zealand.

After we finished our wool selections, we went next door to Cusha's Village Fabrics. I was specifically looking for a local fabric that would show New Zealanders.  I was thrilled with this Maori inspired print.  I also bought a piece that showed the Nikau Palm.  I already have an assortment of fabrics showing "Kiwi" images and will combine these in a special project.

When you travel, do you purchase needlework supplies from that country?  If yes, do you then move those project to the top of your 'todo' list.

Over at Lit and Laundry, there is a wonderful hexagon project in the works.  I am so in love the colours of the hexies.



1 comment:

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Good to have you back even if you are wondering around vampire like. Loving that Maori inspired print, its so pretty.