Saturday 9 November 2013

Weekend Cooking: A Taste of Paleo

My new years resolution this year was to loose 20 pounds.  I knew I would need some help and have found food journaling to help in the past.  This year I signed up for a free membership with Livestrong.com.  It has really helped me.  By selecting the correct foods I can also keep track of sodium consumption and see if I am getting enough fibre.  One o the bonuses that I hadn't expected, was the huge number of recipes that are available. 
 
Since daughter and I are both lactose intolerant, we tend to make a lot of vegan dishes and serve meat along side.  I've also found that many Paleo dishes are dairy free.  Below are three Paleo dishes that were featured on Livestrong.com.  All three recipes were designed by Jess Barron, Editor-in-Chief of Livestrong.com.  The recipes can be found on the site at the links below.
 
 
 
 


300-Calorie Gluten-Free 2-Minute Paleo Pumpkin Microwave Mug Muffin

I made a few changes to this recipe.  I found that 3 tablespoons of ground flax seed was too much; I replaced one with hemp protein powder, though hemp seeds would make for a more appealing colour.  I also replaced the honey with  1 tablespoon of maple syrup.  I serve this with a bit more maple syrup as well as the cream from coconut milk.

Paleo Gluten-free Banana Pancakes
 
These are wonderful made exactly as directed.  They are best eaten immediately.  For fun I served them with Hershey's Chocolate syrup.


Paleo Gluten-free Yummy Blueberry 2-Minute Microwave Muffin
I didn't have blueberries and substituted raspberries instead with wonderful results.  I also replaced the honey with maple syrup as before. This one is a big hit with even my husband. 
 
 These are three recipes that I keep using again and again.  The muffins are large enough that I eat them for lunch and they keep me full most of the afternoon.  Can't wait to see what other recipes Ms. Barron comes up with. 
 
For more recipes and foodie fun, be sure to visit Beth Fish Reads for her Weekend Cooking post.

ps. I have a postcard giveaway on my other blog, Send a Postcard A Week.

12 comments:

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

The banana pancakes look yummy. I have been hearing a lot about the Paleo recipes and seen many of them on Pinterest, but haven't yet tried them.

Roslyn said...

This was interesting, My youngest DGS & I are gluten intolerant and I am constantly searching for recipes with good texture[the most challenging part of GF baking].
I am still looking for a really acceptable GF peanut butter cookie recipe, the PB seems to make them soft when I want crisp.

Carole said...

Good luck with the weight management plan Heather - I need to start my own up again - having eaten far too many leftover Halloween chocolates!

Kerry Ann @Vinobaby's Voice said...

I love reading more about people actually trying paleo recipes. I've had IRL friends love it and hate it. These look pretty good-thanks!

Esme said...

These all look good-I would just leave out the chocolate syrup. I am not a fan of sweet meals-love dessert to be sweet just not my meals.

Esme said...

Ok this may be a double comment-those all look goo.d

Vicki said...

I agree with Esme. I don't really like my main meal to taste like desert. But, I wold give the pancakes a try.

Vicki said...

I agree with Esme. I don't really like my main meal to taste like desert. But, I wold give the pancakes a try.

Joy said...

Banana + chocolate = one of my favorite flavor combinations!

Joy's Book Blog

Anonymous said...

Good luck on your weight loss journey..I'm there myself. I think I will be trying loseit for my food and exercise journalling.

Beth F said...

I was out of town until today, which is why I couldn't comment over the weekend.

Congrats on finding a way to lose weight and still the foods you love!

Couscous & Consciousness said...

Totally want to try that microwave raspberry muffin.