Thursday 23 January 2014

Tangled Thursday - Paisley Power

This week's challenge was posed by Elaine.  All she said was 'Paisleys' and left the rest up to us.  I did an online search of images and found that paisley are essentially tear drops with a curve.  They are of Persian design and were introduced to the west in the 18th and 19th centuries.  In the Persian language they are known as Boteh Jegheh. The name Paisley is attributed to the city of Paisley in central Scotland where many textiles are manufactured.

My first attempt is shown at left, measures 1 1/2 x 3 1/2 inches. 

Welcome to Tangled Thursday.  A few of my local and online friends have joined me in an occasional Zentangle challenge.  We'll take turns choosing a theme  and them post our drawings in about 2 weeks time.  All are welcome to join in the fun.  If you are new to Zentangles, then visit the website for a complete explanation and all sorts of online resources.  I'm also a big fan of TanglePatterns.com
 
 I wanted to do something a little different this week and knowing of the textile history of paisley, textiles seemed to be the way to go.  I have been making fabric postcards recently and figured that a single paisley would fit perfectly on the 4 x 6  inch size.  First a rough sketch of some designs I could do free motion on the sewing machine.  
I already had the base of the postcard made and thought that black rayon thread would show up.  It didn't.   I used a sliver of soap to draw the outline and started by stitching the outline.  From there I started to fill in the design.
 
I tried photographing it at an angle with no flash and a longer exposure to see if the threads showed better.
 

This time I thought I would change thread colour and try to go over the stitching lines more than once.  Still very faint.
 
the threads show a little better at this lighting and angle, but still not enough.  Time to try something drastic.
 

 
Black thread on pink fabric.  A winning combination.
 
Our next challenge will be posed by Marie at Daisy's Book Journal.
 
You are invited to add a link to your paisley or other Zentangle post.
 
 
 

3 comments:

Felicity Grace Terry said...

I've always associates paisley with Scotland and had no idea the design was actually Persian.

Marie said...

Awesome work, Heather. Your paper one would work great as a bookmark.

Your postcards are terrific! You must be a master at the sewing machine. Too bad the designs don't show up better in the photos. They are still lovely. Great job!!!

Thanks for the mini-history lesson, too. I love paisleys, but I had no idea of their history. Interesting!

Tami said...

What a creative idea. I have used quilt blocks snd quilting designs as Zentangle patterns, but never considered the "vice versa".

I also want to know about fabric postcards. I've never heard of them but I'm intrigued.