Tuesday 14 January 2014

Needlework Tuesday - Do you sew Garments?

A new year needs a very new project.  It's been ages since I've sewn a garment more complex than boxer shorts, in fact, I don't think I've shown such an item on my blog.  Quite a few months ago, daughter cut out the pieces for a dress with full intentions of sewing it herself.  Well, I just couldn't leave it sitting in a heap any longer.  I want to see her wearing it, so I carried it to my sewing area and have started working on it. I'm at the point of attaching the narrow contrast ribbon.  Bonus is that she chose a lovely cotton and I get all the scraps for my quilting. It does have a zipper, but other than that, it's straight forward sewing, so I have hopes of it being completed by next week's post.

Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.

One of the fun aspects of blogging, is visiting other blogs.  I find it a very inspiring as well as relaxing activity.  Just before Christmas, I received gifts that I had won at two of these blogs.
 
I was introduced to Nero's Post and Patch during a blog hop.   Teje is located in Greece and posts all sorts of needlework.  She also has over a dozen helpful tutorials. 

Thanks Teje for the wonderful fabrics.  My daughter has her eyes on the top one featuring the handbags.
That same week, I received a second package, this time from Shelly at Prairie Moon Quilts.  My prize was for participating in the 2013 version of the 350 Block Challenge.  This year's challenge has been launched, and this year I am planning to join in, though I will mostly be sewing fabric postcards instead of blocks. (or at least that is my plan at the moment).

Thank-you to Shelly for the terrific fabrics and thread.


I thought I was finished with my wingspan scarf when I realised that I needed to knit 8 triangle segments and had only completed 7.  You can see on the right hand needle tip that I have just started the eight triangle.  I am getting excited about this project, as I get to keep it for my own use.

The weather here has been all over the place which means that the temperatures have ranged widely.  Should make for some very interesting colours for my temperature scarf.  I'll have an update on that at the beginning of February. 

Have you started your year with a new project,  use Mr. Linky to share and I'll be sure to drop by for a visit.


 

3 comments:

Tami said...

I must have missed the wingspan scarf along the way - I've never seen one like it. It's beautiful. Can't wait to see the finished project.

I have also returned to a little garment construction (after a 30 year absence) and it's taking me a bit to get familiar with it again. I'm hoping to make some little girl dresses to send to Africa with a missionary, so that will get me practiced up.

Can't wait to see the finished dress.

Marie said...

Nice fabrics, Heather. Bright and colourful! I love the colours in your wingspan scarf.

No new project for me. I really want to start one, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Kate said...

I love that wingspan. The pattern is one of my favourites.