Tuesday 28 January 2014

Needlework Tuesday - Sun dress completed but where is the sun



It may be frigid outside with super freezing temperatures, however, I was thinking sun and finishing up this sundress for daughter.  She cut it out months ago and then it sat.  I gave in and did the stitching.  It still needs the hem, but it's finished.  It is from New Look pattern 6789.  I won't recommend this pattern as the shaping for the bust is done incorrectly.  I had to take off the top band, straighten out weird bulge and then re-attach the top band and re-do the top stitching.   Yet to decide whether to add more ribbon around the bottom just above the hem.  Daughter is quite pleased with the outcome and is searching for her next dress.
Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.
As requested, here's the photo of me modelling my wingspan scarf.  If you are thinking of stitching this scarf/shawl, check at Ravelry for a variety of patterns. Wingspan patterns at Ravelry.
A few weeks back, a friend asked if I could repair her husband's headband.  On inspection, I realised it was too far gone, but offered to knit a new one.  I used a pattern from Patons  - Beginner Ear Warmer.  It was simple to knit and finished it in one evening while watching tv.   I used a skein of  Berroco Vintage DK, which is a wool/acrylic yarn.  A beautiful yarn to knit with which I'll definitely be using again.
 
 
 
Daughter consented to model this ear warmer.

It's crazy quilt time.  I signed up with Carli at Good Earth Quilting for her 2014 Crazy Quilt Along.  I haven't done any traditional crazy quilting before, but it has been on my list for ages.  First, we are doing a winter themed block.  shown are the fabrics and colours I have selected. 
We are working with a muslin base that is 12 1/2 inches square.  All of our stitching  is to be by hand.  I am using a wide assortment of fabrics include some almost shear, raw silk, unknowns and cotton.
 
Curves are appliqued on top.
 
 
My block is now pieced and I have started to embellish.  I have beads, buttons and a huge assortment of embroidery threads.  Might even add some silk ribbon.  I'll post pictures on Tuesdays so you can follow along with me.  Suggestions of online resources and suitable books would be appreciated.  I am also looking for an affordable copy of  A Treasury of Crazy Quilt Stitches by Carole Samples.   Let me know if you have a copy that you're not going to use.
 
Next week I should have a new tea cosy to share with you, along with the January rows of my Temperature Scarf.   I have also started a new feature on my other blog.  My challenge this year is to create 350 fabric postcards.  Shelly, at Prairie Moon Quilts is again hosting her 350 block challenge.  I am stitching fabric postcards instead.   Next week I'll show a summary photo of the cards I made during January , though for now, here's a link to the introduction on my postcard blog, Send a Postcard a Week.
 
I hope that you had  a chance to do some stitching this past week.  Add your link to Mr. Linky and I'll be sure to drop by, visit and leave comment.
 

 

5 comments:

Lin said...

Love your crazy block Heather - gorgeous chilly colours.

Marie said...

Great work, Heather. The sundress, scarf and headband are all terrific!

I love crazy quilts and have always wanted to make one. The embellishments are great and really "make" the quilt, but they also look like lots of work. Love, love, love the colours on yours.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Heather. I'm sure K will love the headband!
:)

Audrey

Teresa Quilts said...

Love your crazy quilt block, Heather. Hope I didn't do mine wrong. I did stitch mine with my sewing machine, but will do the rest of the stitches by hand.

Paulina said...

The sundress looks great! I also love your wingspan shawl. I've been meaning to make that one for a while but haven't gotten around to it year.