Thursday 6 February 2014

How to get started with Zentangles

Welcome to Tangled Thursday.  A few of my local and online friends have joined me in an occasional Zentangle challenge.  We'll take turns choosing a theme  and them post our drawings in about 2 weeks time.  All are welcome to join in the fun.  If you are new to Zentangles, then visit the website for a complete explanation and all sorts of online resources.  I'm also a big fan of TanglePatterns.com

Quite a few readers have commented that they don't know how to get started.  Your best bet is to find a Certified Zentangle Teacher and take a class.  It will be money well spent.  If that is not an option,  today I have prepared some lessons for my readers.

Get out a fine point marker, some paper and a pencil.  Use the pencil to lightly draw a 3 inch square (free hand is good) on the paper. Start with the first lesson, work through all four, and then lesson 5 you put them together.  YOu can use small pieces of paper or use a larger one and draw several squares (referred to as tiles) on it and your lessons will be all in one place.  Then take a photo and post it on your blog, and then come back here and add the link to that post to Mr. Linky.  or if you don't have a blog, email me a photo of your artwork from  lesson 5 and I'll post it next week.
My email  heatherdpear at Hotmail dot com


** note- I have shown broken down the tangle to individual steps.  The red lines are what is added at each step.  You will only draw one square and do all the steps in that square.  Yours will look like the final block in each lesson.  
Lesson 1 - Static ( I added some shading in the final block to make it look more 3D)
Lesson 2 Knightsbridge

Lesson 3 Keeko

Lesson 4 Corn Rows

Lesson 5 Putting it together

This weeks challenge, posed by Tami, was the Olympics.  Since I spent my time drawing lessons, I didn't get much done, but I did incorporate two of the tangles, Knightsbridge and Static in my drawing.   It as fun using tangles with circles, and there are a lot to chose from.

Next week's challenge is still keeping the Olympics in mind, use tangles with circles.

Do you have a post to share, add your name and link to Mr. Linky.  i'll be sure to drop by for a visit and will leave a comment.

4 comments:

Tami said...

Good lessons! My sister and I got a few minutes to run through the basics this past weekend. Much easier than she thought it was going to be. Hopefully we'll be seeing some tangles from her soon.

I love the color in your last drawing. Very nice!

Teresa Quilts said...

I have a question, Heather. Do I draw all the squares, then draw the lines, etc. just like you have yours? Change it in each box? Thanks!

Teri said...

I have a long ways to go to catch up with you and Tami! You are both awesome!

Teresa Quilts said...

Well, I tried these. I would say they aren't too good. LOL I can't draw stick men, so I guess you can say I can't tangle, either.