Tuesday 25 February 2014

Needlework Tuesday - Stitching Interrupted

Winter doldrums and Olympic viewing have conspired to keep me from much stitching the past two weeks.  The wonderful winter sporting events have kept me on the edge of my seat for hours.  Love the newer ski and snowboarding events.  The persistent cold weather, often hovering around the -20C mark has also keep me from wandering far from home.  Most of my walks have been cut short so I can avoid frostbite. With it being so cold, I have to wear my Sorels, and they are heavy and not really meant for walking long distances, but they do keep my toes warm.   The cold does make it appealing to sit inside, bundled under a quilt or two, and knit and crochet.

I am making a concerted effort on completing the salmon coloured afghan.  The four long strips are complete and I am working on the little squares, 26 of 36 completed.  I might even get this finished before it warms up. yippee.

Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.
The third pattern is out for the Red Heart Checkerboard Textures Throw.  I have printed it and am ready to work on it.  I bought this bright green to add to the project.  Still looking for a lemon yellow which is in the variegated and maybe the teal as well.  Must be a lot of crocheting and knitting going on, as lots of the worsted weight yarns are sold out in my local stores. 
I did manage to find the last four skeins of Red Heart Super  Saver Chunky yarn in the area. These are destined to become a floor matt for somewhere in my house.  I found a nice pattern that crochets in rows .  I think it is within my skill level.  I am trying not to start it until I get the salmon afghan finished.  The pattern is called Hearth & Home Rug.   I do have several floor matts around the house, but they all have that foam backing that deteriorates after a few years and leaves and annoying grey dust.  Since they need replacing, I figure I can crochet the replacements and get some colours and textures that I like.  There are quite a few patterns available on the internet and such yummy yarn colours are every where.  I am also intrigued by the idea of using a chunky yarn to crochet a doily so that it turns out as an area rug.  That one is further down my list.

Have any of you crocheted/knit rugs?  Please leave me a comment with your thoughts on this, and a link if you have photos or pattern suggestions.  Mr. Linky is awaiting you.

4 comments:

Tina said...

I admit to having quite a bit of yarn but I never learned to crochet properly. My Nana showed me two stitches but I have not made more than a few blankets. Maybe I need to watch a YouTube video to learn more!

Roslyn said...

I took the sock project with me but with all the distractions did not want to risk mistakes hence the scarf!

Elly D said...

A bit late for this week but I'll try remember to post next Tuesday with some progress (hopefully) on my crochet blanket.
On the question about rugs.. have you ever thought of making fabric rugs? You cut strips of fabric about an inch.. and use them two strips at a time with very big knitting needles. I haven't tried it myself but a friend of mine is about to make one. I made a small mat... trivet size, using a couple of old t-shirts. I cut it into strips, joining the ends, and crochet it into a round. It was hard going on my hands but it made a very thick fabric that would be an excellent floor rug. Look forward to seeing what you do. Ellyx

Tami said...

The Olympics cut in to my crafting/sewing time also. The cold weather has been keeping me inside and I really need to use the time to get some hand sewing done - but i find myself zentangling instead :)

Looking forward to what you are creating with all that beautiful yarn.