Thursday 5 June 2014

The Silent Reporter (Hyder Ali #1) by Mobashar Qureshi

 Making your way as a reporter is hard business specially when you are the most recent hire.  Hyder Ali is on a six month contract with The Daily Times and researches and writes which ever stories his editor assigns.  This is interrupted when he learns of the death of his favourite college professor.  The death seems to be a clean cut suicide, but right from the start,  Detective Tom Nolan feels something is a bit off.  Even though he's been on leave for the past year, and spent most of it drunk, his instincts are screaming at him that it's not so.

Hyder is an interesting person. His choice of career and his heritage and religion are unknowns to me and I feel I learned a fair bit about each throughout the reading.

Detective Nolan is a character that I've seen in various stories previously, but that didn't make him any less appealing.  How was this drunk and despondent cop going to pull himself out of the gutter and get the bad guy.

I'm looking forward to the meeting of these two characters in future books.

I really enjoyed this story.  It had a great plot line that kept me interested till the final pages and the straight forward language made for easy reading.  A few times the awkward wording had me re-reading a line and it could have used another pass through by an editor to catch some missing and mis-used words, but on the whole these didn't detract from the enjoyability. 

This ebook is currently free at several retailers.

Cover image from Goodreads.

2 comments:

Mystica said...

I liked the story behind this book. Also it gives one an insight into the difficulties a Muslim American faces in the current society in America.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Sounds good though I confess that poor editing can put me off the best of books.