Thursday 12 June 2014

Tangled Thursday - Your favourite tangle

 I started dabbling with Zentangles less than two years ago.  Going back through my sketch book, I found that Knightsbridge was the seventh tangle that I tried.  The first sketch shows the variation that I drew.  I was happy with the results and loved the quiet time spent colouring in the alternate squares.  As I paged further through my sketch book, I found many more examples of this tangle.  It's  a fun one to play with by varying the distance between the lines, whether they are straight or curved and how to 'fill' the resulting squares.

Welcome to Tangled Thursday.  A few of my local and online friends have joined me in an occasional Zentangle challenge.  We'll take turns choosing a theme  and them post our drawings in about 2 weeks time.  All are welcome to join in the fun.  If you are new to Zentangles, then visit the website for a complete explanation and all sorts of online resources.  I'm also a big fan of TanglePatterns.com.
 CZT Margaret Bremner has a tutorial on her blog the Enthusiastic Artist from which I gained some further ideas.  Beez in the Belfry shows how to do the variation with the water drop enlargement.
 I drew quite a few with curved lines to find out whether I'd be able to sense the movement in the surface. 

An assortment of variations. i particularly like that you can vary the distance between the lines depending on the area being filled.  


Sets of curved lines.  Not sure what I think about the 'squares' at the edges. They really have lost their shape.


Random thread with an overall grid but then different fills for each area of the thread.

Fun with coloured markers.  I was thinking of Dutch  artist Piet Mondrian when I was working on this piece.  While he mostly stuck to straight lines,  i let mine curve where they wished.

I hope that you had time to play with your favourite tangle this past week.  Mister Linky is waiting below.  Feel free to add a linky to the post of your favourite tangle or to your most recent Zentangle inspired post.    Elaine will get back to us shortly with your next challenge.


3 comments:

Marie said...

Great work, Heather! I thought you might choose this one. I especially like the water drop, the curved lines (the one with the not-quite-squares at the edges), and the Mondrian inspired one.

Have a great week!

Tami said...

Awesome variations on such a simple pattern. Great way to stretch your creativity. I especially love that last one.

As usual, I'm a day late. I got it drawn on time - just not posted. It will be up shortly.

dianeclancy said...

I especially love the water drop on too - that and the wavy lines with the Knightsbridge!!

You have quite an ability to take a string and vary the parts of the string so they look very different!! Quite an array!!

Mine is going up in a couple of minutes. I have way too much on my plate this week so it is a lot simpler than yours ... I love yours :)

~ Diane Clancy
http://www.DianeClancy.com/blog