Tuesday 1 July 2014

Needlework Tuesday - Canada Day Stitching

Happy Canada Day to my fellow Canadians both on home soil and abroad.  I hope you are sporting your red and white and having a wonderful day.  Today I am sharing a mixed bag needlework.  Sort of like Canada, we aren't homogenous from shore to shore, but rather a  huge assortment of cultures living together in peace to make up a magnificent country.

I am back at work on my Red Heart Crochet Along.  Block 7 is Back Loop & Front Loop stitch.  I really like the way this turned out.  It is a more smooth surface and would be wonderful in  fabric like application.

Block 8 is Front Post Double Crochet around Single Crochet.  This looks sort of like ribbing, but it is quite firm, no real stretch across the width.

Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.

I had fun playing with my scraps of 1930s fabrics and made nine postcards.  I did add buttons on the ones in the bottom row.  They will need to go in an envelope to go in the mail, but I think the buttons look great.
It's been ages since I started a new quilt, and I just had an itch last night.  I had cut the pieces for this one early last year and had it sitting in baggies waiting.   The pattern is called "Fabric Fusion" by Bill Kerr and Weeks Ringle and is found in the February 2012 issue of American Patchwork & Quilting.  The finished block measures 7 x 8 1/2 inches.  I don't generally use floral fabrics, but had quite a collection of fq's.  I pulled them all out and cut and cut till I had enough pieces for three different quilts.  this is the first one that I am working on.  I need 72 of these blocks.  The photo below shows 16 of the blocks together.

It's amazing how much I can accomplish when all the cutting is already done.  Honestly, I started this late yesterday afternoon and already have 17 blocks finished and many more in various stages.


I'll keep this short today, as it's a holiday and I want to get back to spending time with my family.  Have a terrific day.  Mister Linky is waiting below for a link to your recent needlework post or a link to your post showing your version of the "Fabric Fusion" quilt.


4 comments:

Marie said...

Love the buttons on the postcards. They do look great.

I'm also really loving your floral fabric quilt. That green border fits perfectly with the prints. Can't wait to see it finished.

I'm amazed that after all of sewing you did for the grad dress that you still wanted to do more. I know it's different, but still. Good for you!!!

Have a wonderful Canada Day!

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
Love your postcards, they are so pretty. Also like your new quilt. The floral print sets it all off great. We have been having a heat wave here, so crocheting has been out of the question. But have been keeping up with the patterns. I have them all for when it cools off and can get back to crocheting.
Have a great day!!

Sherrie
Food for Thought
http://100sweets.blogspot.com/2014/07/needlework-tuesday.html

Lin said...

A belated Happy Canada Day - hope you enjoyed it. Those floral fabrics all look great and the quilts are going to be lovely. I do like your postcards! I am always up for a postcard swap if you are interested. xx

Kate said...

You are just whizzing through that quilt. It will be finished in no time.
Happy Canada Day, a day late!