Thursday 10 July 2014

Tangled Thursday - Making use of Negative Space


This week's challenge was from Marie at Daisy's Book Journal, to use negative space. Please drop by Marie's blog this week and leave her a message of encouragement.  The river behind her house is flooding and it's expected to be bad.  It flooded two years ago and that was supposed to have been a 300 year storm.  This could easily be worse.

 I started by drawing a five point star and then tangling around it.  At first I was going to let the tangles define the edges of the star, but then realised that wouldn't work because I started with Questing, which is a very open tangle.  After adding dots along the sides of the star I felt much better about it's visibility.  Additional tangles used: Hair, Firecracker, Fog Horn and Traffic.  This is my first time using pink and I find I love the combination of it with black.  I'll be using this one a lot more.  Shading is important in this tile.  The pink section of Hair was very boring, then I lightly shaded in some folds and it's much better.

Welcome to Tangled Thursday.  A few of my local and online friends have joined me in an occasional Zentangle challenge.  We'll take turns choosing a theme  and them post our drawings in about 2 weeks time.  All are welcome to join in the fun.  If you are new to Zentangles, then visit the website for a complete explanation and all sorts of online resources.  I'm also a big fan of TanglePatterns.com.
 Our previous challenge was from Elaine to use String 109.  I finally have some photos to share.  This was a fun colour pen to use.  Tangles used: Hypnotic, Angel Fish, Zedbra, Bunzo, Fence, Banner and Echoist.
This same string looks totally different on this tile.  Tangles used: Citrus, Knightsbridge, Cadent, Cartz, Paradox and Keeko.

Have you been tangling with negative space this week.  Mister Linky is waiting below for a link to your post.  Any current post is welcome as well as links to earlier posts that show negative space.


5 comments:

Marie said...

Heather, thanks for your words of encouragement. It means a lot to me.

Your tiles look amazing. Great use of colour and shading. I especially love that you used all new-to-me patterns in the first one and lots of new-to-me ones in the other two. Very nice.

You've provided me with tons of inspiration when I get back to drawing.

Have a great week.

dianeclancy said...

These are wonderful!! I still need to do mine - I hope that is ok ... on overload. And of course, Marie, Good luck!!!

dianeclancy said...

Yours is so pretty, Heather!! And I love the pink! At last I am done with mine!! YAY

http://www.dianeclancy.com/blog/2014/07/negative-space-challenge-entry-tangled-thursday/

Your String 109 challenges are very cool - I don't know many of those tangles so I need to go figure out which is which. Very lovely!!

~ Diane Clancy
http://www.dianeclancy.com/blog

Unknown said...

Heather, do you have any idea who created the tangle "Citrus" that you have used here? It's one of my favorites but I cannot find any one to give credit to.

Heather said...

Hi Devin,
I found Citrus in Zentangle 7: Inspiring Circles, Zendalas @ Shapes by Suzanne McNeill