Thursday 25 September 2014

Tangled Thursday - Patterns inside Patterns

Tami, at Just One More Thing, challenged us to create a pattern within a pattern.  She posted a good example to illustrate. This led me to think of some quilt blocks I have been working on over the past year.  The blocks are made up of diamonds and triangles. Perfect for this challenge.  (I have five blocks sewn and many more pieces cut, but still a long way from revealing my progress).
Welcome to Tangled Thursday.  A few of my local and online friends have joined me in an occasional Zentangle challenge.  We'll take turns choosing a theme  and them post our drawings in about 2 weeks time.  All are welcome to join in the fun.  If you are new to Zentangles, then visit the website for a complete explanation and all sorts of online resources.  I'm also a big fan of TanglePatterns.com.
After a bunch of playing around to lightly draw some pencil lines for guidance, I started in the middle with the mooka.  Since I am still not comfortable with that tangle, I kept them simple.  Next I did the outside points. I worked all same triangles/diamonds at the same time in an attempt to keep them as identical as possible.

This was worked on a 9 x 12 inch piece of multi media paper.  It was very flat looking before I added the shading.  #Zentangle

One of my earlier thoughts on creating this piece, was to draw each different triangle/diamond once in a larger size, photo copy and then cut and paste to make a very large piece of artwork.  That way I could include lots of detail in each segment.  I may still do that at a later date.

thanks to Tami for the fun Challenge. Elaine is up next and then it's Diane's turn.

I'm looking forward to seeing some other pattern within a pattern drawings.  Leave a comment below and/or add a link to Mister Linky and I'll be sure to drop by for a visit.


4 comments:

dianeclancy said...

Nice job, Heather!! Very cool to try that quilt pattern. I just couldn't get past Tami's wonderful example :)

Marie said...

Stunning!!! It didn't cross my mind to use a quilt pattern. It's perfect for this challenge. So well done.

I'm afraid the week got away from me and I didn't have time to create anything. I did spend some time thinking about it, but that's as far as I got.

Honestly, even with Tami's example, my mind was on a totally different track for the "pattern within a pattern" concept and really couldn't wrap my head around it.

Sorry, I didn't come up with something.

Tami said...

I love that you immediately thought of quilt blocks. Took me awhile to get to that idea. :)

Your work is beautiful - so precise. I like your idea for the larger piece also - I may borrow that one.

Roslyn said...

You have a lot more patience than I do Heather for all that tiny detail.