Tuesday 30 September 2014

Needlework Tuesday - Sewing with a Layer Cake

Even with the gorgeous weather we had this past weekend, I did manage to find a bit of sewing time.  I started this project along with a friend way back in March.  My friend finished hers long ago and I am still in the midst of sewing seemingly endless rows of strips together.  This quilt started with purchasing a layer cake, which is a packet of 40 different squares of co-ordinated fabrics 10 inches on a side.  I selected one called Road 15 from Moda.

Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you


Each strip is carefully numbers and laid in the order they will be sewn together

I decided the best approach would be to sew the strips together in pairs.  Just over half are paired in the following photos.  When I look at the strips with my glasses off, I can really see the pieces flowing together.  My only problem with this pattern is that we were instructed to press the seams open. arg, that means that every intersection has to be pinned. That's one heck of a lot of pins.  It is worth the effort and the seams are matching wonderfully.

I bought border fabrics today and am looking forward to completing this quilt top.  It should end up a good lap size, unless we decide to hang it on the wall.  #BargelloQuilt

Truth be told, I had intended to work on another quilt this week, but I haven't found all the fabrics I want to use.  I knew that if i rushed it, I wouldn't have been happy with the results.  Better to take my time in the preparation stage, it will result in a much better quilt in the long run.

I am getting so close to completing my temperature scarves.  Just have to record today's high, and then can finish knitting September.  Next week I'll have photos of both scarves in their full length.  #TemperatureScarf

Did you get a chance to stitch this past week?  leave a comment or better yet, add a link to Mister Linky. I'll be sure to visit and leave a comment.


5 comments:

Marie said...

Love, love, love your layer cake quilt. The repeating pattern is awesome! I agree that rushing and not getting it right in the planning stage is a recipe for unhappiness or even disaster. Good for you for putting on the brakes.

I can't wait to see the full length of the scarves. I hope you reveal your mystery location at that point, too!

I did a little knitting, but was mostly frustrated as stuff wasn't working out. I'm glad to see that you had a better week than mine. ;)

Have a great week!

Lin said...

I love your quilt top - the movement in the design is amazing. Brilliant, well done. xx

Kate said...

Your quilt is coming nicely.

Tami said...

I made a very similar quilt in a class years ago - I absolutely love it and it is sitting - half-quilted - in the UFO pile.

I love your colors! I bet the work of pressing seams open will pay off and you'll have a beautiful quilt in the end. Can't wait to see it finished!

Roslyn Atwood said...

Love the look of this quilt design & I have made a few but find them a bit tedious! I remember one I never finished, got it half together put it away & forgot how to do the other half~ can't remember what happened to it but it's long gone!
Kudos to you for being so patient