Tuesday 20 January 2015

Needlework Tuesday - When the pattern just doesn't work

 I was quite excited last week when I cast on the stitches for what would be my new winter hat.  I had finally bought a ball of the much celebrated Noro wool.  When I first read about the company and their concept I was most impressed.  I wanted to make something.  After studying their website and the colour charts, I found that I didn't like their colour combinations that were currently available.  Too many colours put together.
Time elapsed and I still wanted to knit with Noro.  At a knitting show I saw a kit that used one ball to make a hat. The kit is from Black Sheep and Ewe.  Perfect way to try Noro, finally.  I cast on this past week and started knitting.  i used the 5mm needles recommended in the pattern.  Way too small.  Moved up to 6 mm needles. That gave a better tension but still too tight of a hat.  Daughter suggested that I keep knitting and turn it into a head band for her.

 That's exactly what I did.  The band is reversible and shows different colours on each side.  If I had added the top of the hat, it would have been small and not come any where near covering the top of the ears let alone the entire ear.  i only had inches of wool left after binging off.  As you can see from the third photo, there is no way this would make an adult hat.  I would make a good children's hat.

 Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.
 A friend gave me these cross stitch animals.  She found them after some one else had removed them from their hoops.  I'm thinking of using them as the middles of pineapple log cabin blocks, though I would welcome your suggestions for alternate settings.

Daughter has been asking for an infinity scarf.  This is from a kit, also from Black Sheep and Ewe.  I have used this yarn previously, Polaris from Rozetti,  and loved it.  I knit a black and white shawl for my sister in law. I don't like knitting with 9mm needles, but the effect is pretty so I will stick with it.

I look forward to seeing what you are stitching this week.  Mister Linky is waiting below for your link.


4 comments:

Lin said...

What a shame about the hat that became a headband! Pretty though. Those pieces of cross stitch are lovely, am not sure why you are thinking pineapple but then it is good that we all have these ideas - it could be amazing!! xx

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
Love your needlework today. The headband is so colorful. Your idea of a quilt with the cross stitch sound awesome, can't wait to it put together. Have a great day!!

Sherrie

Roslyn said...

I have just begun another eyelash yarn scarf for a grt niece. But I really need to knot that other sock!

Marie said...

Too bad about the hat, but the headband is really nice. Love the colours!

I'm afraid I don't have any good ideas for your carousel animals. They're pretty cool, though, and might look really nice incorporated into a quilt.

Don't like the 9mm, eh? Try the 20mm. ;) Big needles aren't really that bad, IMO. If nothing else, it makes the knitting go faster, especially with scarves, which tend to take forever.