Tuesday 13 January 2015

Needlework Tuesday - Cosy Feet

 My daughter is all ready for winter with the new cowl that I knit for her.  I started it in November and gave all the pattern and wool details in an earlier post.  I had to wait until after Christmas to show the finished item and have her model it.  She loves it and has been putting it to good use on her windy university campus.  The colour in the first photo is more accurate.


Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.

 For years, I have been searching for the perfect slipper pattern.  It must fit sort of snug and not have a seam on the bottom of the foot.  Oh yeah, it has to be fairly easy to knit.  I've always envisioned a basket of hand knit slippers by my front door waiting to warm my friends' feet.  I am determined to start filling that basket this year. My first pair of slipper is the Seamless Salomas Slippers by Susan Busbee and Megan Williams.   This pattern is available free on Ravelry.  The first pair I made in worsted weight yarn is size medium, which easily fits size 8 1/2 women.
 .

Next pair I made is for my nephew with size 13 feet.  If anything, they are a wee bit large on him. These are the funniest looking things before you put them on.  In the pattern they are referred to as pocket book slippers.


During the holidays, I received an email from The Fat Quarter Shop telling me that I had won a fat 1/8 bundle. wow. I wasn't expecting that.   The package arrived within a week.  As you can see, there is oodles of fabric to play with.  I don't have a pattern selected yet, but I do know it's going to be a fun search.  I am thinking that I want to add some solid fabrics into the mix.


The bundle I won is from Moda and is called 'Gardenvale'.  It's the first fabric line by Australian designer Jen Kingwell

A visit to The Fat Quarter Shop site shows that they have reasonable shipping rates.  If ordering to Canada, ensure that it is sent by USPS and note that you may have to pay the taxes when the package crosses the boarder.  I suggest USPS for cross boarder shopping as they charge the lowest brokerage fee.

I also noticed that The Fat Quarter Shop is going to be carrying a new and exclusive size of pre-cut called Jolly Bars.  They are half of Layer Cake, 5x10 inches.  This size really appeals to me. I'm looking forward to ordering some later in the spring.   They are have several patterns featuring this size of cut on their website.


My mother must have felt that I was running out of projects as she gave me the Rapid Fire Lemoyne Star ruler for Christmas.  I read all the instructions over the holidays, and then went to Deb Tucker's website and read more and then watched videos.  There are several variations that can be done with this ruler including fussy cutting border print fabrics, of which I have several languishing in my stash.  At some point soon I hope to be trying this one out and I'll be sure to take lots of photos to share.


I am curious, did you get any needlework supplies for Christmas that you are eager to start using?
Leave me a comment, or better yet, write about it on your blog and add your link to Mister Linky below.

3 comments:

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
Love those slippers, they look so warm and cuddly. I posted about some new quilts I've done last Saturday hope that's ok for Needlework Tuesday. Have a great day!!

Sherrie

Roslyn said...

I need a bit of padding under my feet so I tend to stick with purchased slippers but I used to wear these kind of handmade on my younger feet!

Marie said...

Love the cowl! Great colour.

Those slippers indeed look funny. Before I saw that they were slippers, I was trying to figure out what they were. Slippers did *not* cross my mind. ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing what you make with your new fabric. Congrats on the win!

I didn't do much knitting over the holidays. Earlier this week I was trying to track down my Mary Maxim package, which somehow got delivered to the wrong post office. I'll tell you more about that in my post next week.

Have a great week.