Thursday 22 January 2015

Tangled Thursday - Playing with Arukas

 When I first saw the tangle Arukas back in the fall, I could see the potential for lots of fun.  Life didn't allow time for much tangling and it sort of drifted to the side.  I still wanted to get back to try it so I issued
a challenge to my tangling friends.  Use Arukas any way you want, though draw it out on it's own first.

Here's my first attempt.

Welcome to Tangled Thursday.  A few of my local and online friends have joined me in an occasional Zentangle challenge.  We'll take turns choosing a theme  and them post our drawings in about 2 weeks time.  All are welcome to join in the fun.  If you are new to Zentangles, then visit the website for a complete explanation and all sorts of online resources.  I'm also a big fan of TanglePatterns
 Next up, mulitiple Arukas. I started with a simple thread with 4 areas and drew Arukas in each staying within the thread.  In the upper left,  as I was filling in, I ended up with an open space and decided to fill that with a smaller Arukas.  I need to shade that one a bit more so it recedes further.
In this case, I didn't start with a thread.  I drew the 4 centre circles and lightly numbered them with a pencil.  Number 1 is in the upper left.  I draw all 5 of it's rays radiating out past all the other circles.  Number 2 in the upper right, also drew all it's rays out fully, breaking the lines when they passed below the existing lines from one.  For the next 2 circles, some rays I extended and others I stopped when they reached another ray.  I used only brown marker for number 1 and both brown and pink for the others.    Needs more shading to better show depth.

I hope that you have played with Arukas.  Mister Linky is waiting below for your link to your current Zentangle related post, or your Arukas post.


2 comments:

Marie said...

Really nice work, Heather. I hadn't thought of doing a string and then doing the pattern. I really like the effect!! Nice use of colour in the last one.

By the way, I like your shading. It's subtle, but nice.

Have a great week.

dianeclancy said...

These are a lot of fun, Heather!! This is the 3rd time in a couple of weeks I have used this - so getting more confident :)

~ Diane Clancy
http://www.dianeclancy.com/blog/2015/01/arukas-challenge-tangled-thursday