Saturday 10 January 2015

Spirit of Steamboat: A Walt Longmire Story by Craig Johnson

If you're looking for a one sitting read that will keep you captivated from the first page, this is the book.

I picked up this book solely due to my love of the Longmire television series.  Hubby and I watch each episode together and cheer Walt on with every investigation.  I loved the book, he couldn't get past the first chapter.

This story departs from the normal one where Walt and his detectives have a murder to solve.  In this case, it's Christmas eve, a major winter storm is moving in and Walt needs to find a way to get a severely burned child to hospital. 

Walt is everything I expected and wanted him to be.  There was lots of 'on the edge of the seat' reading. It had me gripping the edge of my seat in fear and the next page had me cheering.

Even with hubby's unfinished reading, I heartily recommend this book.

Be sure to visit Craig Johnson's website to learn more about this series and the people who inspire him.  While Craig is not a member of either the Crow or Cheyenne Nations, I am listing this book along with my First Nations Novels.  His close relationship with his Indian friends gives him a realistic view of of life on those reservations and their relationship with the residents of the town.

Unfortunately, Longmire is no longer being carried on cable TV, but will continue on NetFlix.  

Craig's home town of Buffalo, Wyoming, which stands in for Durant, has hosted  Longmire Days in July for the past three summers.

Thanks to author Craig Johnson for use of the cover image. 

No comments: