Tuesday 27 January 2015

Needlework Tuesday - Piecing once again

It's been a while since I did any reasonable amount of piecing.  Yes, I did a wee bit of sewing to make some boxer shorts in December and made two blocks for my guild meeting in November, but piecing itself, not much.  On Saturday, I decided that enough is enough.  I got out a long piece of fabric and started cutting.  I continued cutting on Sunday and finally finished cutting  today. All from one piece of fabric.

It doesn't look like much, but that jumble has the makings for  90 blocks.

I am using the book One-Block Wonders: One fabric, one shape, one-of-a-kind Quilts by Maxine Rosenthal.  Essentially, you take one fabric, either six or eight repeats of the print, and cut identical pieces.  I had eight repeats, so I am sewing octagons. First one is complete, a bazillioon more to go.  They will trim to 6 1/2 inches once the corners are added.

This one is going to take a while to piece, but I'm not in  a hurry.
 Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.

My local guild is hosting a mystery.  Tonight we had our meeting and were to bring our second set of blocks.  I had them pieced with days to spare.  The blocks are all 5 inches. The fabric is very gold metallic making it hard to photograph. I have no idea what the finished project will look like, it is a mystery after all.  I will be making twelve blocks.

I'm also knitting, but I don't have anything new that I can show you at this time. One project is a surprise and the other is the green and cream infinity scarf that I showed you last week.  While it is longer, it still looks the same.

What do you do when you are having needlework urges.  Do you ignore those urges and continue with your current project, do you start a new one, or do you find a UFO that has been languishing and finish it up?

Leave me a comment as I am curious. Mister Linky is waiting below for a link to your current needlework post.




3 comments:

Lin said...

Oh start a new project of course!! I find your piecing very interesting it looks complicated but maybe is not? Anyway, enjoy. xx

Kate said...

I like the colours in your One Block Wonder. Looking forward to seeing more.
Mr. Linky seems to be on vacation!

Roslyn said...

Argh, OBW's they are my nemesis. I have tried three times to make one, only succeeded once! I could never make them look the way I wanted.
I have some fabrics still that was planned for OBW but will never be used for it, LOL, not going there again ever!