Sunday 12 June 2016

The Light Between Oceans by M. L. Stedman

After witnessing the autrocities of WWI, Tom Sherbourne seeks the solace of running a remote light house offshore of southwest shore of Australia.  During his shore visits he meets and falls in love with Isabel.  After courting, they settle into married life.  Their domestic bliss is challenged by two miscarriages followed by a still birth.  Life reaches a critical point when a rowboat reaches their shore with a tiny baby crying out for care.  Do they seize this opportunity to have the family they have longed for.

I loved this book.  It explored a lifestyle I can never lead, living on a remote island with no social contact for six months at a time.  It takes a unique person to want to live this life.  I enjoyed learning of Tom's story and why he felt compelled to live on the island.  I was less entranced with Isabel, though she was a woman in love who would follow her man anywhere specially if it was far from her parents home.  It lead me to several times when I had to ask myself what would I have done were I in their situation.

I listened to the audiobook as read by Noah Taylor. 10 hours 22 minutes unabridged.   Mr. Taylor's accent made me feel as though I really was in Australia, not sitting in my living room in Canada.  He easily met the challenge of voicing the rough sailors and the more refined and educated city people.


Cover image courtesy Simon &Schuster Audio.

1 comment:

Mystica said...

This sounds like a very emotional and an intriguing read.