Friday 17 June 2016

First Nations Friday - Sweetest Kulu by Celina Kalluk

I was looking for some board books for my new niece and was attracted by the lovely cover of Sweetest Kulu by author Celina Kalluk an Inuit throat singer.

The story tells of the gifts given to a newborn by the animals of the arctic.  The language is gentle and flowing and had a calming effect on me. I learned that the word Kulu is an Inuit term of endearment.  How perfect for a baby book.

Little Kulu is dressed in a teal outfit on each page as is a different arctic animal. I particularly loved the pages with the arctic char, the snow bunting and my absolute favourite was the narwhal beluga page.   If I could have a print suitable for framing, that would be the page.  The book is illustrated by Alexandria Neonakis.

This book provides plenty of material for both parents and children to enjoy.  As the child grows older, they can learn the animals, colours, flowers and even play act the feeling that are introduced.  This is a book that I could enjoy reading again and again.

Cover image courtesy Inhabit Media.

Video of Celina Kalluk singing "Daylight Remains" featuring throat singing.

"Daylight Remains" by Celina Kalluk - English from DEEP INC. on Vimeo.

No comments: