Saturday 11 June 2016

The Ghost Bride by Yangsze Choo

This is a most original story.  It is set during 1890's colonial Malaysia and young Li Lan is being considered to become the ghost wife to the recently deceased son of wealthy Lim family.  I found this concept intriguing and unsettling at the same time.  I kept wondering what kind of life she could have as wife to a ghost.

Then the tale gets complicated, enter the deceased man's cousin Tian Bai and another mysterious man Er Lang.  It takes the rest of the story to unravel the stories of these men and their ties to Li Lan.

Throughout the story I keep hoping that Li Lan's father would get his act together and behave like a caring parent instead of hiding in his room and smoking opium.  Fortunate for her, she has  Amah, her nanny to guide her, not that teens are known for listening to the advice of their elders.

I was captivated by this debut novel the entire tale.  Each time I thought I knew where it was leading, a new spirit or twist would show and the direction would change.  Once I started, I didn't want to put it down.  I can't wait to see what surprises will be found in future works by author Yangsze Choo.

Cover image courtesy HarperCollins Canada

No comments: