Tuesday 28 June 2016

Needlework Tuesday - Building a Castle

 What a fun day I had with my friend Audrey.  We sewed this wonderful castle panel.  It's going to be a pillow for her daughter's bed.   This is a really cute free pattern from Fat Quarter Shop - Castle Pillow. Of course I made a few changes.  The pattern makes a 20 inch square pillow.  I find that pillow forms are expensive and tend to go flat rather quickly.  Instead, I made my castle 20 1/2 x 26 1/2 inches, which is the same as a standard bed pillow.  These can be purchased on sale very reasonably and replaced as needed.

I also used a piece of fabric that looked like stained glass instead of an open window.  In the battlements, I left a few open as they would truly appear.  The rick-rack isn't stitched down yet, I'll wait till after the quilting.  We are planning a few embellishments, anyone have a fabric with a print of a dragon?

Son asked for another baby afghan for a friend who is due very soon.  I didn't want to make the star afghan again (they already have one of those) and instead wanted to do a ripple style.  I found this one on Ravelry by Leann Brown.  It has the look I want.  I am using what I have on hand, so am adjusting the number of rows.  All the off whites will be ten rows and the rest will vary between 4 (I only have a bit of beige) and ten rows.  Once the base row was established, I could stop counting and follow the previous row.  Ten rows goes surprisingly fast and then I get to play with colour.

I'll have an update on both of these projects next week.  That is, as long as I can keep myself from starting on yet another new project.

Needlework Tuesday is a regular weekly post where I share the progress of my various needlework projects over the past week. I enjoy the encouragement that I receive from my readers and in return visit their blogs and cheer them on with theirs. You are welcome to grab the cute little mouse and create your own Needlework Tuesday post. Leave a comment with a link and I'll be sure to visit with you.

I hope that you are having fun and  making progress on whatever project is dear to your heart at this moment.  Mister Linky is waiting below for a link to your current post.

 

5 comments:

Kate said...

Startitis is a terrible affliction. I regularly suffer from it. Be strong. Done is better.

piecefulwendy said...

What is it about starting a new quilt that is so much more fun than finishing one? I don't know, but I suffer from the same affliction. :)

EmileeHope said...

Love the castle!!!

Louise said...

Very smart to make your pillow covers for a standard bed pillow! Those big square "Euro" sized ones are expensive, too. Your castle is quite charming :)

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
Love the castle blocks, very pretty. I've got a ripple afghan going but haven't worked on it for ages. My hubby passed away last week, he had been sick and nursing him I got behind on everything. Hoping to get back into the swing of things soon. Have a great day!