Thursday 31 August 2017

The Gathering - Shadow House # 1 by Dan Poblocki


Five young people ages 12-13 are invited/lured to Larkspur under various pretexts.  After they arrive they soon notice that something is amiss, actually a whole bunch of somethings.  Why are there no adults and where are the rest of the students/family/movie crew...

The setting of this book is classic Gothic.  It's set in a massive old house with lots of long dark hallways that seem to change when you aren't looking.  Set back from the main road and hidden behind overgrown trees and shrubbery, passersby are sure to miss the house..   To top that off, the kids cell phones can't get service and they have no other means of summoning help.

I loved this book.  It was creepy enough to keep me on the edge of my seat, but I still wanted more.  Just when I thought I had figured out the mysteries, all of a sudden I was hit broad side and found I knew nothing.  Great way to ensure I stayed on edge. At that point, I actually sat there stunned with the revelations.

This is a good choice for middle school readers who are ready to move beyond the Goosebumps series.

The story continues in You Can't Hide.

I listened to the audio book which was very well done, but since have learned that there is additional materials in the book that really add to the tale. If you are a fan of audio books,  I would suggest that you read the paper copy at least once.


To learn more about the series, visit the website of author Dan Poblocki.

Cover image courtesy Scholastic Canada.

#IndigoEmployee

1 comment:

Mystica said...

Sounds really creepy!