Friday 20 August 2010

Odd Hours by Dean Koontz

This is the fourth book in the journals of Odd Thomas.  He was on his way back to Pico Mundo from the monestary where he was staying during the events of  Brother Odd, went he felt a pull that directed him to the coastel town of Magic Beach.  He is working as a chef for retired actor Lawrence 'Hutch' Hitchison.  One night he feels compelled to walk along the boardwalk.  From that moment on Odd's actions and very life take a turn to the mystic.  He feels that this has to do with the reason he was called to Magic Beach. 

Right from that first moment on the boardwalk I knew that I had to keep turning pages, that I wasn't going to be allowed to put this book down.  The character of Odd was perfectly in keeping with his actions and thoughts in the earlier three books/events.  There is something about him that I just can't help but love.  It's sort of a protective mother like feeling, but not quite.  The following passage spoken by Odd is one that endeared him further to me:

But my heart tells me that the gift was given to be used, imperfect or not, and that if I deny it, I will wither away in despair and will earn no life after this one, no reunion with my lost girl.
Dean Koontz's website
Odd Thomas's website

Reviews of the earlier books in this series:

Odd Thomas
Forever Odd
Brother Odd

2 comments:

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Reading that passage I can understand just why you were so endeared to Odd.

Sherrie said...

Hi Heather,
Thanks for stopping by my place. It's been awhile since I popped over here too. I've never read the Odd Thomas books. I'll have to put them on my TBR list. They sound fascinating. Your Chocolate Mint Cheesecake looks yummy. Have a great day!

Sherrie
Just Books