Friday 16 July 2010

First Nations/Aboriginal Fridays - Curve Lake First Nations Territory

Last weekend my family visited the Whetung Ojibwa Crafts and Art Gallery located on the Curve Lake First Nation Territory.  I have visited their website a number of times in the past while researching First Nation authors, but didn't imagine that I would be able to visit. 

I was amazed by the wide variety of arts to be found there.  At first glance the building seemed a fair size, but once in the doors, it kept going and going.  There is a large gallery on the main level with hundreds of painting and other works by dozens of artists.  I could have spent hours gazing on them and then could have started at the beginning and looked again.  I wanted to purchase a painting, but there were just too many that I loved  to decide on only one.  I did purchase a book The Bootlegger Blues: A Play by Drew hayden Taylor.   Also bought a mug that features the art work of Norval Morrisseau, Man Changes into Thunderbird.
This wood carving was found inside the front door.
The teepee was located in the backyard.  These three photos were taken by my niece Michelle Eng.

The next day we visted the Petroglyph Site that is overseen by the Curve Lake members.  A petroglyph is essentially a carving in rock.  This picture  of the glyphs is from Geology.com
Outside The Learning Centre we met Beverley.  She is Ranger and that day was conducting information sessions on butterflies.  The next two pictures are views of the building where the glyphs are located.  They are the last pictures we took at that location. 
We did take one other picture once we left the building.  Hubby made a rubbing.
This was a wonderful park to visit.  The glyph building is designed to preserve the carvings yet it also allows access to the Curve Lake members for their ceremonies.  This was my second visit to the site and I expect that it's not my last.  I was hoping to purchase a book about the site, but unfortunately the gift shop was closed that day. arg.

The Whetung Gallery and the Petroglyph park are about 1 1/4 hours apart and can easily be visited in one day.  Well worth the effort of getting there./

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

a lovely insight in to the first nation and some great pictures ,stu

Dorte H said...

Oh, petroglyph is a wonderful word!
(I know that Peter means rock) Thank you for sharing this great post.