Thursday 15 July 2010

Recipe Thursday - Coco-Milk Chicken

I've been exploring recipes that can be adapted when camping.  Since I took the electric frying pan with me, this needed no changes.  I did de-bone and cut up the chicken at home and then put it in a large ziplock baggie .  I plan to make this one again next week when camping but will be adding more vegetables, probably a thinly sliced red pepper and perhaps some diced celery.  Don't you just love the Barbie bowl that my dinner is served in.  We have limited dishes in our camper.
Coco-Milk Chicken

3 lbs. chicken cut into bite size pieces
2 tbsp cooking oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp minced ginger root
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
fresh small red chili (seeds and ribs removed for less heat)
3/4 tsp ground coriander
2 cups coconut milk (select the low fat version)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 ground pepper
1/2 cup coarsely chopped cashews

Fry chicken in cooking oil in frying pan for aobut 20 minutes, turning over once, until golden.  Transfer to large plate.  Cover to keep warm.

Saute next 5 ingredients in same frying pan for about 3 minutes until the onion is soft and starting to turn golden.

Add coconut mmilk, salt and pepper.  Stir.  Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.  Add chicken. Cover.  Simmer for aobut 45 minutes, turning chicken over once, until tender and no longer pink.

Sprinkle with cashews.  Serve over rice.

(I don't know why it tells you only to turn the chicken once, but I ignored that and turned as often as I felt it was needed.)


This recipe is from Company's Coming: Asian Cooking.  This cookbook is currently sold out, though copies may be available in local stores. 
Join Candace at Beth Fish Reads for more food related posts.  On saturday she posts her "Weekend Cooking" meme.  You are invited to join her with your recipe, cookbook review, or other food related post.

2 comments:

Marie said...

This looks yummy. I love coconut anything. I'd definitely add some more veggies: red pepper and something green for colour.

I generally only turn meat once when I'm cooking it. I can't remember exactly why, but it has something to do with browning and retaining moisture (I think). Not sure.

Thanks for posting this one.

Beth F said...

This sounds really good and easy. But I think it needs a bit more color. A bit of red pepper and/or carrot would help.