Thursday 9 June 2011

Get Caught Listening - June is Audiobook Month

Over the past two years I have been listening to an increasing number of audio books.  It all started one year earlier when I found 'Book Radio' on Sirius (channel 80).  I listened to it everyday while driving my son back and forth to school.  Once I found out that my local library offered online audiobooks I knew I had to figure out how to get those.  It didn't take long to download the free Overdrive Media Console and start downloading audiobooks.  I transfer them over to my ipod touch for easy listening.  Am looking forward to being able to transfer them to my BlackBerry Playbook, but that option is not yet available.


For my summer listening, I will be visiting Audiobook Community.  It is a free online group that works to promote and discuss audiobooks.  You can join in discussions with other listeners, check for new and upcoming releases and even talk about your favourite readers.

Once you sign-up at Audiobook Community, join the group called SYNC: YA listening.  Every two weeks throughout the summer they will be offering a free pairing of audiobooks that you can download and keep.  One is a current publication and the other a classic.  After listening, you are invited to join in the discussion.  Note, each set of books is only available for one week.

Below is the scheduled list of audiobooks:

Available June 23 - June 29

Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater
Romeo & Juliet by William Shakespeare
Available June 30 - July 6
Little Brother by Cory Doctorow
The Trial by Franz Kafka

Available July 7 - July 13
Where the Streets Had a Name by Randa Abdel-Fattah
A Passage to India by E. M. Forster

Available July 14 - July 20
The Last Apprentice: Revenge of the Witch by Joseph Delaney
Beowulf by Francis B. Gummere [Trans.]

Available July 21 - July 27
Chanda's Secrets by Allan Stratton
Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy

Available July 28 - August 3
Ashes, Ashes by Jo Treggiari
Rescue: Stories of Survival From Land and Sea by Dorcas S. Miller [Ed.]

Available August 4 - August 10
Immortal by Gillian Shields
Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

Available August 11 - August 17
Storm Runners by Roland Smith
The Cay by Theodore Taylor

For those who decide to join up at Audiobook Community, please add me, Heather Pearson, as a friend.  I'd love to know what you're listening to and your thoughts.

2 comments:

Miri said...

Terrific! Thanks so much for this info-you know I just love audio-books!

Paulina said...

Thanks for the info. I love audiobooks and have also been borrowing them from the library. I'm currently listening to Little Brother, one of the books listed on the schedule, and it's a terrific story.