Thursday 2 June 2011

Seven Little Australians by Ethel Turner

Set in Sydney, Australia in 1880's, seven children get into all sorts of mischief even though they are trying their best to behave.  Ranging in ages from sixteen to one year, the Woolcot children are mostly left to their own devices.  Their step-mother Esther, the birth mother of only the youngest, is just twenty and has no experience with children.  Their father is a military man and expects his children to behave and only to show up when he expects them to.

I have been wanting to read this book for several years.  I was able to download a copy to my Playbook and read most of this adorable story in one sitting.  I really don't want to start telling you about the events that happen in the childrens' days, but I can assure you that they didn't set out to get into trouble, those things just seem to happen in this family.  I suppose it might have been different had they had a nanny to see to their needs.

Author Ethel Turner wrote over 40 novels and has been the longest in print author in Australia.  She also wrote further about the Woolcot children in: The Family at Misrule, Little Mother Meg, and Judy and Punch.


Article about Ethel Turner at Australian Children's Literature.

Thanks to Chapters.ca and Kobo for the cover image.

3 comments:

Martha@Hey, I want to read that said...

This sounds like a really fun read. I've never even heard of this book or series. I'm going to be on the look out for it, it seems right up my alley.

Mystica said...

I do hope the Melbourne library has this one! I like to read books with an Aussie background when I am in Melbourne so this should be a lovely choice.

Louise said...

Seven Little Australians is one of the most famous Australian books for children ever. I know it was part of my own Australian childhood. I reread it a year or two ago, and enjoyed it again. And Mystica I think every library in Australia would have this book.